“You Ain’t Got No History”

Term-X

Granted, most of the ‘No history’ & ‘Classless club’ insults from rival fans only grew stronger once we started collecting trophies. Yet Chelsea were finishing 4th before Roman took over, City came from relegation battles to replace Liverpool at the top. So surely in terms of scale, City’s transformation should have been open to worse criticism from fans of other clubs. I don’t recall the Arsenal fans greeting City with this particular chant last season..

Man-City: League Titles - 2, FA Cup - 5, League Cup - 2, CL record - First round (1968)

Chelsea FC: League Titles - 4, FA Cup - 6, League Cup - 4, CL record - Finalists

:rolleyes:

The fact the media has seen all this before (wealthy foreign owners transforming clubs), and not so long ago either. May have sheltered City from the shit we were bombarded with, from the press & fans alike.

Or is it simply because they have yet to win major honours. A south/north media/fan bias?.. or more a case of the media lapping up this new Manchester ‘competitive’ rivalry?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The media is very pro-north, anti-Chelsea. That's something to do with it.

"The fact the media has seen all this before (wealthy foreign owners transforming clubs), and not so long ago either. May have sheltered City from the shit we were bombarded with, from the press & fans alike."

and I think that's 100% accurate.

I have noticed that Manchester City don't get as much grief as we do, as a matter of fact i worked out all of the money we have spent on transfers, and in total we have spend over 600 million while they have spent over 400 million, and its concerning since we are going into our 9th season and they are going into there 4th season. At least we where a good side like you mentioned, City before there money where a poor team for years, winning there first trophy in like 38 years was it?. I generally think other supporters are blinded by hatred, because Chelsea has won more things than City which enforces more jealousy, especially from liverpool fans who still have to win a premier league.

They call us a shit club with no history, yet you could bring up a club like wolves, and they would say Wovles a good club which i respect, but if that club got bought by billionaires tomorow then was challenging for the title they would slate that club for being shit, and having no history. In my opinion it's hatred, Liverpool supporters are the worst for it though, but it makes sense since they havent won anything in ages besides a Champions League, so they have been angered when they have seen teams such as Chelsea at the top of the league

Jenny Longball has spent over £100m of John Henry's money yet are Liverpool getting slated?

But rich Arsenal going on about it because if i don't recall if it weren't for their very own "sugar daddy" taking over saving them from liquadation then pumping thousands (a lot in the early 20th century) to fund their 30's dominance :rolleyes:

Tottenham fans going on is even more hilarious, they think they only reason we are better than them is because of Roman :lol:, did they watch their team play us for 13 years before Roman took over :rolleyes:

Jealousy ,Jealousy, Jealousy. Wealthy club stay at top, poor club get relegate and selling player. You can't deny the fact that in order to stay top, you need a strong resource, time to wake up from their meaningless dream.

It's something to do with class in my opinion. Northern clubs have a very localised and passionate fan base (I'm not saying the Southern clubs don't) , and there is a real sense of community about the clubs because of class divisions, though these are largely stereotyped. Clubs like Liverpool, United, City, Leeds, Everton and so on are a media favourite because the Northern communities are typically working-class, and those clubs represent that. The media have always favoured those clubs for that reason, as opposed to the Southern clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal and even Midlands teams like the Villa because these clubs are from more affluent areas of the country.

Because Northern clubs have had partisan support throughout the decades, they are particularly proud of their history because football represented the pivot-point of Northern culture between the 1940s and the 1980s. In a period of post-war austerity, Northern people could go to Old Trafford or Anfield or Maine Road and watch their clubs, whereas the rich Southerners would go to the theatre, go to music concerts or whatever. Don't forget, during the Blitz, it was the industrial North and regions of the Midlands that were targeted. London was left relatively undamaged in comparison to the likes of Sheffield, Liverpool and Coventry which were utterly ruined by Luftwaffe bombing raids as the Germans sought to cripple the country's manufacturing infrastructure. In the aftermath and the extensive rebuilding, football became an integral part of the post-wartime collectivist spirit amongst Britons in the North. There is an English belief that football truly originated from the North, ad most Northern fanbases see Southern fans as fair-weather, only joining the "football is my religion" cult after the re-emergence of British football with the 1960s European Cup winning sides, ie. Celtic, Manchester United. You can joke about most United fans coming from London these days, but that is only to do with the outwards communal expansion of the club's support, which swept across the country and ultimately the world due to the club's increased media presence that was dictated by silverware success.

Perhaps hatred is a strong word, but there is a certain pro-Northern bias amongst the press - and its partly down to stereotyped class divisions, with Northern clubs representing the struggle of the stereotypical working-class family. On the other hand, the laissez-fairesr rich bitches of the South only jumped on the bandwagon after the culture spread across both the country and the strata of the British social hierarchy. It is fair to say that the support of sport clubs truly did originate in the North; and that is the reason why Northern cricket, rugby and football teams are particularly successful. So that is where a lot of the media hatred comes from.

The history of sport is a fascinating subject. Despite being a Mathematician and Scientist ,I am a lover and amateur student of History in general

and Sports history in particular . While football has been played in various forms for centuries world wide ..it was England who formulasied the

laws of the game , The organisation of the League was formed largely by northern and midland clubs. Much that BL has said about

the stronger community ties in the North is in my opinion true.

Witness Rugby League ..a breakaway formed to introduce professionalism. I can recall entire towns making the trip to Wembley to see a

cup final. In an earlier thread I described the growth of football in this country under the title "You DirtyNorthern Bastards"

There is a North v South rivalry ..which is I believe healthy , The flaw is the standard of journalism and reporting of football.

This is far lower than in most other sports . Similarly listening to pundits discussing Rugby , Cricket or Golf ..makes one realise

how poorly the football fan is informed by the "experts"

I think that another reason why we receive a lot more bad criticism than Man City is because we 'transformed' into a bigger club first. Then came City who sort of 'copied' us, so it's not a new thing now. I may be wrong, but it's how I see it.

The media and fans of other clubs dislike us a lot more though, there's no doubt about that.

I think that another reason why we receive a lot more bad criticism than Man City is because we 'transformed' into a bigger club first. Then came City who sort of 'copied' us, so it's not a new thing now. I may be wrong, but it's how I see it.

The media and fans of other clubs dislike us a lot more though, there's no doubt about that.

thou shalt not covet thy neighbours wife

thou shalt not covet thy neighbours goods ....

BUT lots of us do .....

I think that if City wins something, the complaints will get a lot louder.

I wont envy city fans ,,theyve had to put up with shit from Manure for years ,,even now Manure wheel out all their relics to take cheap

shots at city ,,, Bobby Charlton ,, Cantona ,,,, Scholes ,, Gobby Neville ... Golden Ballocks ,,,,,

If we dont win the PL I hope City do ... FUCK UNITED

Guest justin_3d

City has not won nothing, so nobody really cares about that.

But as far as bad image for this club, started with Mourinho. Even though he was a great coach he gave us a bad image as well.

I mean look at Mourinho acting a fool at Real Madrid!

Our negative image stayed with us for quite a while.

With Carlo this improve, but we still got to keep up, cause a lot of people are also piss of at Roman for firing Carlo after doing good the first season. If AVB does good, then what Roman did will be seen as good business.

City has not won nothing, so nobody really cares about that.

But as far as bad image for this club, started with Mourinho. Even though he was a great coach he gave us a bad image as well.

I mean look at Mourinho acting a fool at Real Madrid!

Our negative image stayed with us for quite a while.

With Carlo this improve, but we still got to keep up, cause a lot of people are also piss of at Roman for firing Carlo after doing good the first season. If AVB does good, then what Roman did will be seen as good business.

You're the king of double negatives.