Avram Grant

Grant 'snubbed' by players

Duncan Castles

Sunday March 2, 2008

The Observer

Avram Grant was snubbed three times by Chelsea's playing staff in the wake of last weekend's League Cup final defeat to Tottenham Hotspur. The Israeli manager, who accused the media of disseminating 'lies' about his position ahead of yesterday's emphatic win at West Ham, saw his authority questioned after calling a team meeting on Tuesday morning.

Though Grant, who says there is 'no problem' in his relationship with the players, scheduled the training ground gathering for 11am, his squad failed to turn up at the designated time. Upon instructing a club employee to summon them for the session, he was informed that the players were holding a separate meeting of their own that would not finish for another 10 minutes. When the squad still had not assembled at that time, Grant made his way to the players, only to be told they still had matters to discuss and was asked to leave the room. The manager did so without complaint.

Once the players had concluded their gathering, they again proved uncooperative. Seeking to end reports of squad discontent at his handling of the final, Grant asked the players to voice any concerns. It is understood that because they were worried that what they said would be relayed to owner Roman Abramovich, no team member spoke up.

Grant had been called in to Cobham the previous day when Abramovich demanded talks with the first team's entire coaching staff. Unprecedented in the past four seasons at Chelsea, the Russian's request resulted in Grant cancelling an arrangement with the Israel Football Federation to study for the Uefa Pro-Licence he must obtain to continue managing the team next season.

Abramovich had also spent a significant length of time in the Chelsea dressing room at Wembley after Sunday's 2-1 defeat, been present for each of the team's final three training days before the final and held private discussions with Grant on the eve of the game.

There remains considerable discontent among the Chelsea squad about preparations for the final. Having witnessed Abramovich address Michael Essien about errors in his play after a Champions League group game this season, some players believe the owner influences team selection and strategy through his deputy Eugene Tenenbaum. Grant partially denied this on Friday, saying: 'Roman Abramovich has never even seen me about one player that he needs to play, never said to me anything about picking the team.'

Whoever did choose Sunday's team and tactics, the players were unhappy that they did not know who they would be playing alongside nor which formation they would be using until the day of the game. Ashley Cole learned of his omission in the pages of a national newspaper, Michael Ballack believed he was to start only to be supplanted by Shaun Wright-Phillips, while Alex was asked if he would stand down for John Terry on the Saturday. 'It was frustrating,' Alex told Brazilian television last week. 'The boss called me over to talk on Saturday. He told me that I'd been playing well, but it's the English cup and that Terry is the captain, he has to play. He asked me if there was any problem and I said, "No, no problem at all. I'm here to do my job."'

From Thursday onwards, senior players had asked whether the team would be playing in their customary 4.3.3 formation or another shape to accommodate the selection of Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka as joint strikers for the first time. They were told to 'wait and see' and 'not to worry' about the issue.

Adding to the tension was Terry's nervousness over being passed over for the in-form Alex. During Saturday's final training session the captain's unease spilled over into a fight with Henk ten Cate, ostensibly over the assistant coach's whistle-happy interruptions of a practice match to chide midfielder John Obi Mikel. Terry was not reassured of his place until 11pm on Saturday night.

Grant's job is not in immediate jeopardy. Abramovich has too much invested in the appointment of an under-qualified coach to one of European football's top positions to dispense with him after one Wembley defeat. Sources close to the owner insist he has not moved to change the manager nor sanctioned any approach to the Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard.

An uneasy atmosphere does remain at the club, though. Piet de Visser, who acts as a private adviser to Abramovich on football matters, is an important influence, having recommended several player purchases and the appointment of chief scout Frank Arnesen. Grant's relationship with Arnesen is described as 'frosty'. Chelsea last night declined to comment on when Ashley Cole and Ballack discovered they were not in the cup final line-up.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grant has lost the players confidence, clearly. He really should not have accepted them holding a meeting over his, should have demanded they attend now, threatened with fines and what not. At least then the players could respect his discipline. But instead, he just meekly accepts it, and now the players know they can get what they want. That spells trouble, unless someone in the group of players, i.e. John Terry is holding the utmost respect of the players and manages to keep them in order himself. I do think he'd be able to do this, but it is really a manager's job.

By the end of the season, JT is going to more qualified to manage a football club than Grant ever has!

Agree E. Obviously theres some doubt over the credibility of any press story, but there seems too much smoke at the moment. You look at the body language between Grant and all the staff, Clarke, and the players, they dont respect him. Everyone seems to be masking the fact that they dont think he should be there.

you can see that when players like JT lamps joe cole wright phillips and ballack stated their desire to play on the newspaper before the carling cup final....

a sign of powerless management

Chelsea faces exodus if Grant remains in charge

</I>CHESLEA'S big names, such as Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Michael Essien and Ricardo Carvalho are all considering their futures and Bridge insiders fear they will quit if Roman Abramovich keeps faith with the Israeli boss.

After last weekend's Carling Cup defeat to Spurs, there is a growing sense of disillusionment at Chelsea that even weekend's 4-0 win at West Ham cannot hide. Many Blues players have grown exasperated by Grant's man-management techniques and his apparent lack of tactical know-how. They believe a winning run in the Premier League has merely papered over the cracks and that the humiliating Wembley defeat had been on the cards.

"There are a lot of players asking a lot of questions about Grant," one source said. "If he's here next season, then a lot of the big names will be out the door. There is no real faith in him - and many of the players don't think he's capable of making the big decisions. "There's been a lot of talk about Frank Rijkaard replacing him but Abramovich doesn't show any sign of getting rid of Grant. If that stays the same, then a lot of the players think the club will either stand still or go backwards - and they won't hang around for that."

same old shit, different source and words. This Avram Grant stuff is honestly starting to piss me off now. Nothing is being said that we dont already think or know.

Grant has lost the players confidence, clearly. He really should not have accepted them holding a meeting over his, should have demanded they attend now, threatened with fines and what not. At least then the players could respect his discipline. But instead, he just meekly accepts it, and now the players know they can get what they want. That spells trouble, unless someone in the group of players, i.e. John Terry is holding the utmost respect of the players and manages to keep them in order himself. I do think he'd be able to do this, but it is really a manager's job.

By the end of the season, JT is going to more qualified to manage a football club than Grant ever has!

Ok Elliott,but had of Grant stamped his authority,flexed muscle and refused the players to have a meeting,that would of made things alot worse.They're proffesional footballers remember,not kids.

The players do look up to JT,who i believe is keeping that team together along with the other senior players like Petr,Frank,Ricky,Paulo,Joe Cole etc.

My conclusions are that there's an element of truth in the story,with a touch of sensationilsm.

hmmm if all that is true then that is not a good sign and shows things may implode :( Will Abramovich back Grant or the players though?
I doubt it will implode Paul.They're footballers at the end of the day and have to do their jobs with the same endeavour and dilligence,for their own sake if anything.

They can get away with it if they have'nt a hope in hell of playing for their National Teams,but these are quality footballers,so that risk is very unlikely.

Chelsea's team could run itself tbh,fair enough we need coaches for training purposes.

The problem with Chelsea atm is too many chiefs and bad administration.Our poor relationship with the media/press does'nt do us any favours either.

Ok Elliott,but had of Grant stamped his authority,flexed muscle and refused the players to have a meeting,that would of made things alot worse.They're proffesional footballers remember,not kids.

The players do look up to JT,who i believe is keeping that team together along with the other senior players like Petr,Frank,Ricky,Paulo,Joe Cole etc.

My conclusions are that there's an element of truth in the story,with a touch of sensationilsm.

True Mike the players are professionals at the end of the day.

Surely the big problem here is the fact (if true), that the players had to hold a meeting separate from Grant ? Not only this but snubbed the allotted time when they were supposed to be with him ?

This wouldn't happen with Ferguson, (lol can you imagine) Wenger, Mourinho -any other coach.

True Mike the players are professionals at the end of the day.

Surely the big problem here is the fact (if true), that the players had to hold a meeting separate from Grant ? Not only this but snubbed the allotted time when they were supposed to be with him ?

This wouldn't happen with Ferguson, (lol can you imagine) Wenger, Mourinho -any other coach.

Alright Greg.Don't you get the impression that Grant is one of those old school characters that no one likes?,but you always get one person that befriends them,normally out of pity.

Roman can't make the players respect Grant either.Not even he's that stupid enough to make Chelsea F.C into a dictatorship.

Too right. If he'd been qualified, had a proven track record, mentioned in the same breath as Capello, Lippi, Mourinho -the squad, and fans would have accepted him. As it is..........

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r14/shi...if?t=1204559024

I doubt it will implode Paul.They're footballers at the end of the day and have to do their jobs with the same endeavour and dilligence,for their own sake if anything.

They can get away with it if they have'nt a hope in hell of playing for their National Teams,but these are quality footballers,so that risk is very unlikely.

Chelsea's team could run itself tbh,fair enough we need coaches for training purposes.

The problem with Chelsea atm is too many chiefs and bad administration.Our poor relationship with the media/press does'nt do us any favours either.

That's true and thankfully we have tons of "leaders" within the squad so if there is a total breakdown with the management things won't be as bad as like what could happen at other sides.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You