Player Fatigue Problem

Guest Homer2Chelsea

Guest Homer2Chelsea

I think the World Cup might really have messed up Cole, Essien, Lampard, Malouda, Drogba, Anelka and Torres even though they didn’t all play tons of WC games. These players have had zero rest now for two years and they went from winning the league collectively and having dominating individual performances (Drogba – 37 goals in 44 matches, Lampard – 27 goals and 20 assists in 51 matches). You don’t go from that to 13 goals (Drogba + Lampard).

Not only did they get no time off last summer but Ancelotti very rarely used substitutes or the bench (and I think this is the only good criticism of Ancelotti). Except when injured, when did Ivanovic, Alex/Luiz, Terry, Cole, Essien, Ramires/Mikel, Lampard, Anelka, Malouda, or Drogba play until Torres came aboard? These guys played too much! Ivanovic played 47 games this year and 40 last year, before that he’d only played 30+ games twice. Terry played in 45 games this year, 46 last year, 48 before that, 37, 46, 49, 53, and 51 games going back to 2003/2004 for an incredible 46.875 games a year over the last 8 years. Cole played 48 games. Since 2001/2002 he’s played in 40 games EVERY year except 2005/2006 and last year. That’s way too much for a player that runs way more than a normal defender and is normally running at a full sprint (to either attack or get back). 213 games in 5 years is too much and that doesn’t include every English match. Essien played in 43 games and was finally healthy for a season. Twice as many games as his previous two seasons plus 2 straight seasons of injuries, being 28 (listed) and playing a physically demanding position could easily explain being off for one year. Lampard was hurt this year but previously played 51, 57, 40, 63!, 51, 58, 56, 48, and 53 games. I think he was finally getting back on track at the end of the year. He’s not fast but depends on final acceleration to find space in and around the box. Having a groin injury (I can tell you from past experience nags forever) and depending on accelerating after running up and down all game seems like the worse mix possible. Anelka has played in 40+ games twice since leaving Arsenal, he’s played 40+ times each of the past three seasons. That plus depending on acceleration and speed to create space seems like a disaster in the waiting. Malouda has played in 50, 50 and 47 games since coming to Chelsea. He also played 40+ games in each of his four seasons at Lyon. Drogba has played 41, 41, 60!, 32, 42, 44, and 46 games since coming to Chelsea. Drogba is also a heavier player and clearly has more to carry around the pitch than most players. Averaging 43.7 games a year is tons.

Clearly players can and do play 35, 40 even 50 games a year. However, they don’t do it over the age of 30, for 3-4 years in a row, play every friendly and competition for their national team AND still expect to play and WIN every EPL, FA Cup, League Cup, and UEFA match they play. I know Chelsea lost Ballack and Deco but they should be rotating players more. Thats why I think Torres can and should work with Drogba, Anelka, and Malouda. Zhirkov should play more as should their young players. I think since Chelsea is slowing down they should look to play less of and up and down game and they need a creative type to break down teams that “park the bus”. Also, going out and getting a speedster (like Neymar) makes sense because they’d be able to provide a huge change of pace with the rest of a slowing team. Chelsea clearly need a young LB to help sub and replace Cole (Bertrand? Coentrao?), Ramires to step up and help with Essien, Sturridge to help step up with Malouda/Anelka, and a young goalie for Cech (play the young GK in the Carling Cup!).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Killamanjaro made this point before.

Our players struggled due to lack of rotation. The benefit of having Sturridge & Torres now is Drogba is given the rest he deserves. Remember the guy had to play through malaria because of the lack of available substitutes. Now we have a proper chance to rest these players. Danny won't suffer from fatigue since he's suspended for 3 games anyway. As is the case with all our u21's representing us right now.

So I definitely agree with this thread. It makes the most logical sense. I'd like to share an article Kostas showed me once about inefficient training methods in the UK which are hindering players' ability to play at least 60 games a season..

Inefficient training methods

Great post Homer. One thing that can prove your point also is that our form has risen after we were out of FA cup, Carling and and Champions League and better results had started to come.

We need to bring 2-3 players now, and give Josh, Sturridge and Bertrand more chances. In 2009/2010 we had a bigger squad that was much better for rotation therefore we managed to keep our players fresh.

Take a look at the mere beginning of this season when we were winning. Carlo used basically the same players, and never though of changing that a little. After that when some of our players where injured it was though for the others to cover their place in the team. I'm talking about Zhirkov, Anelka replacing Drogba, midfield trio of Essien, Ramies and Mikel and Bosingwa.

I hope we don't repeat the same mistake again, though our players will be rested after the summer.

I think the World Cup might really have messed up Cole, Essien, Lampard, Malouda, Drogba, Anelka and Torres even though they didn't all play tons of WC games. These players have had zero rest now for two years and they went from winning the league collectively and having dominating individual performances (Drogba – 37 goals in 44 matches, Lampard – 27 goals and 20 assists in 51 matches). You don't go from that to 13 goals (Drogba + Lampard).

If you are talking only about the games in South Africa :

Essien wasn't at the world cup. Anelka only played 1,5 games, and to be honest, he could have played 60 like he did, he wouldn't have been tired, not at all.

Good Topic...I was surprised with Ash Cole in particular, that he kept playing game after game despite his well documented ankle problem....Might explain why he had trouble in defence during some of our matches...I really hoped Carlo would have rotated him with or at least tried out Van Aanholt for some of the matches in midweek,etc...

To build on killamanjaro's point. More than 70% of barcelona's starting 11 represented spain at the world cup and played more games than all the other participating teams/players bar netherlands yet won two major trophy last season. sorry I'm not buying it neither. also bare in mind that all of their starting 11 played at the mundial.

To build on killamanjaro's point. More than 70% of barcelona's starting 11 represented spain at the world cup and played more games than all the other participating teams/players bar netherlands yet won two major trophy last season. sorry I'm not buying it neither. also bare in mind that all of their starting 11 played at the mundial.

All those players (except Cassilas, Puyol and Xavi) are aged between 22 and 26 years. Chelsea players in question are all over 30 years except Essien who is 29.

FYI, Torres has not had a summer break for 5 straight years.

All those players (except Cassilas, Puyol and Xavi) are aged between 22 and 26 years. Chelsea players in question are all over 30 years except Essien who is 29.

And let's also not forget that Barcelona takes a lot of time from the game simply passing the ball, and it's usually their opponent that more tired then them.

Yes...and for a fact, this season some of the older barca players like Xavi and Puyol had more fitness problems than usual...but it didn't affect their team as much as ours for obvious reasons....