Paisley, Clough, Busby, Ferguson, or Shankly. Who was Britain's greatest ever manager?

Atlas Lion

4 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Ever Britain Manager?

• Shankly
    • Paisley
    • Ferguson
    • Clough
    • Busby
    • Moyes

As the title states, who do you think was Britain's greatest manager and possibly the greatest of all time?

Sir Alex Ferguson - Took Aberdeen to new heights and created United into the dominate English powerhouse we all grew up watching and continued to build success year after year.

Matt Busby - Head intellect in transitioning youth into the first team, founder of the historic Busby Babes, rebuilt United after the Munich Air Disaster and molded the legendary United Trinity of Charlton, Best, and Law.

Bob Paisley - Led Liverpool to their most prestigious era with three European Cup wins as well as winning 20 major honors in 9 years.

Bill Shankly - Took Liverpool from the second division and responsible for building them into the upcoming dynasty that was to inevitably happen.

Brian Clough - Only manager to win the league with two different clubs, historic legendary status of starting from scratch and building on. Led Derby to their most proud period and Nottingham Forest to two European Titles.

Discuss.

200px-Billshankly1.jpgmatt_busby.jpgpaisley.jpgsir-alex-ferguson_1.jpgClough_smile1.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean it's a difficult question you're asking. They all had different situations to deal with and in the case of Clough, you've got someone who had more to give before his untimely death.

It's sort of like comparing Messi to Maradona, Eusebio etc. Different generations, different emphasis. Busby had the most difficult of tasks, you could argue, rebuilding Manchester United after the Munich Disaster. Shankly built the foundations and legacy of what Liverpool look up to.

For me, it's Clough. England's greatest manager, they never had.

I agree with LDN Blue, different circumstances with different generations.

But i would have to also agree with LDN that Clough would be my choice, though it is somewhat underhanded how Taylor's role has never matched the highlights of Clough's personality. To me he embodied the old English football cliche of the 'under-dog' spirit and instilled it to bring success to clubs that didn't look could reach those heights and hasn't come close too since he left them.

Still find it saddening to the way the ending of the Clough/Taylor relationship came about, together they seemed the best management partnership.