Is Riccy The Best In The Business?

DavidEU

After another immense performance yesterday from Riccy Carvalho, I just wondered, is there anyone else better than him at the moment?

He's come on leaps and bounds since his first season with us, makes very few mistakes, and I'd go as far as saying defensively he's better than JT.

What do people think?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Together JT and Riccy are a pair that any team would want, and together i think they are the best in the business but sepretly i still think JT is better for everything he does, he is a leader and he still commits himself to the most dangerous balls that are to risky to put your body on the line for for instance the cup final where his injury could of been alot worse than what it was.. Riccy is an awsome defender and i rate him very highly a few more years to come for him i think he can be our main central defender and he will be a great leader for our club..

He cost us £20 million when Mourinho first arrived. At first I was worried about such a price for a defender when we already had Huth, Terry and Gallas. But he has been magnificent as he is a brilliant defender. It may be a little too bold to say he is better than John Terry. They are two different types of centre-half. Terry is the traditional English defender - brave, strong and has a great reading of the game. Carvalho is the "modern" continental defender - fast and aggressive going forward. They are the perfect compliment for each other and you don't understand how important one player is until the other is injured, then you realise their contribution

He cost us £20 million when Mourinho first arrived. At first I was worried about such a price for a defender when we already had Huth, Terry and Gallas. But he has been magnificent as he is a brilliant defender. It may be a little too bold to say he is better than John Terry. They are two different types of centre-half. Terry is the traditional English defender - brave, strong and has a great reading of the game. Carvalho is the "modern" continental defender - fast and aggressive going forward. They are the perfect compliment for each other and you don't understand how important one player is until the other is injured, then you realise their contribution

Top post mate and i actually dont have a thing to add :thumbsup:

well as JT and Gallas were the central partnership, i remember riccy wasnt getting much of a chance and was only playing when Gallas was covering at left back. When carvalho played, i thought he was dodgy. He kept making very risky decisions like pulling ppl's shirts in the penalty area from corners etc and he was lucky to get away with most things he done. He even had a row with Jose a few years back because he couldn't get in the team and i thought he was gonna leave. He threatened to leave. His major breakthrough came when Gallas left. Suddenly he knew that he was gonna be JT's center back parner perminently and he took it with open arms. From the day Gallas left, Ricardo Carvalho has been immense and doesnt make many mistakes.

It's tough to say whose better out of Terry and Carvalho, they both put their bodies on the line in challenges and go in where it hurts. They both have the "you shall not pass" mentallity and they do absolutely anything they can to stop the ball going into the net. John Terry surges up the field with the ball, so does Riccy. I actually believe they are very similar players. Together, they have it all. Maybe pace isnt the best tho.

Together JT and Riccy are a pair that any team would want, and together i think they are the best in the business but sepretly i still think JT is better for everything he does, he is a leader and he still commits himself to the most dangerous balls that are to risky to put your body on the line for for instance the cup final where his injury could of been alot worse than what it was.. Riccy is an awsome defender and i rate him very highly a few more years to come for him i think he can be our main central defender and he will be a great leader for our club..

I can just agree with this!! This is a point of teh topic!!

Its hard to really judge who is the best defender in hte business. Each player at the top of their game has different things to offer. If you want to look at it from what Riccy brnigs to Chelsea then I would say if he went he would be just as hard to replace as JT.

As said before.....JT is your typical blood and guts British defender who thrives on getting stuck in where it hurts. He may not be the quickest in the world, but what he lacks in pace he makes up for in his reading of the game.

Riccy on the other hand has pace to burn and is quick into the tackle and when he pushes forward over the half way line Its a joy to watch. Its mainly the fact that most of his work goes about un noticed by many other fans and the media, but watching him when JT was out last season and Essien was partnering him in the centre of defence you could see what a quality defender he was. To me he held things together as best he could and was all over the place getting stuck into anything that moved. He is without doubt one of the top defenders in the world, but again....picking one out to be the best in the business is hard.

I am just pleased he is in our team giving his all. :thumbsup: