Makelele Unsure On Future/Deal with Grant?

MAKELELE UNSURE OF FUTURE

Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele plans to "take stock" of his career after Euro 2008 but wants to play for as long as he can.

The 34-year-old admits next summer's competition will be his last major tournament for his country, while he will consider whether to extend his Chelsea stay beyond the end of his contract in 2009 after the Finals.

France secured qualification to Austria and Switzerland courtesy of Italy's victory over Scotland, and the midfielder is keen to represent his homeland one last time.

He told L'Equipe: "Now we are qualified I hope I will be part of the group.

"I have to perform well this season for my club, and then be fresh and without injury for Euro 2008.

"It will be my last competition with Les Bleus.

"I have reached a point where playing is just a bonus rather than anything else."

On Chelsea, he said: "Will I go on after my contract in 2009? I don't know. It will depend on my desire and my physical condition.

"I will go on as long as I can. I will first take stock after Euro 2008."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see make finish with CFC at the end of 2009 I think that he can still play buy that time....

He is such a class of a player and he can be vetry usfull!!

Still our biggest mistake was selling Diarra becose he could be the nest maka

MAKELELE STRIKES DEAL WITH GRANT

Chelsea veteran Claude Makelele will only play in the club's most important games after reaching an agreement with manager Avram Grant over his selection.

The France midfielder has been a regular feature in the Chelsea side since joining from Real Madrid four years ago in a £16.6million move.

However, Makelele has played just four Barclays Premier League games this season and the 34-year-old has admitted making a deal with Grant aimed at maintaining his fitness levels.

Makelele, contracted to Chelsea until 2009, said: "I have an agreement with my club coach. He knows how I manage my games and we have a well stocked squad.

"He needs me in our very important matches, but he rotates the squad for the easier fixtures. That suits me fine. I can have a rest and it is perfect for me."

Chelsea's next game in the Premier League is away to Derby on Saturday and Grant should have left-back Ashley Cole fit again for selection.

Captain John Terry, who has been training with the England squad this week, is targeting a return against Rosenborg in the Champions League next week.

Meanwhile, midfielder Michael Ballack's continued recovery from ankle problems is sufficient enough for him to raise hopes that he will be back in action before Christmas.

The Germany international has not played this season after undergoing ankle surgery at the end of the last campaign.

Ballack is now confident that he will be back playing in December after returning to training.

Ballack told Germany's state television channels ARD and ZDF: "I am making excellent progress.

"I started training again last week and December is looking like a good time (for a return).

"I am just going to see how it goes from week to week, but won't set a date for when I would like to play again."