Light Weight Players ?

Zath

Hi all.

A worry for me when I see us struggling to win, is our bench.

We have some talented youngsters there but, this is my fear, are they too light weight ?

Literally.

We've had big powerful men in our side and could brush aside Arsenal kids with ease. Now it seems we are going down the same route.

I'm not knocking their ability on the ball but sometimes a few extra pounds can mean the difference between keeping and losing the ball.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

We have some talented youngsters there but, this is my fear, are they too light weight ?

Literally.

We've had big powerful men in our side and could brush aside Arsenal kids with ease. Now it seems we are going down the same route.

I'm not knocking their ability on the ball but sometimes a few extra pounds can mean the difference between keeping and losing the ball.

Pat Nevin kept the ball better than Mickey Droy

You know, it's not all about having big strong powerful players. While they do have their attributes, having a whole team of giants would be pretty slow. If we take Ashley Cole for example, he's not the tallest or biggest of the lot but he's super quick and that's what the smaller guys have. Ramires looks small and skinny but he knows how to put in a crunch tackle, and his stamina to last 90minutes is next to none.

If we are losing the match, why not just give the youngsters a chance to see if they are capable of turning the game around?

I mean since the game is probably lost, it doesn't matters if we conceded a few more

If we are losing the match, why not just give the youngsters a chance to see if they are capable of turning the game around?

I mean since the game is probably lost, it doesn't matters if we conceded a few more

Hi all.

Literally.

good point . one lad that really needs those extra pounds is ramires may be kakuta also but kakuta is still 19 while ramires is 23 ... ramires couldn't keep the ball at all in some games when he faced any big midfielder that was pretty obvious against man city ramies gets bullied off the ball easily facing the likes of barry , yaya toure and de jong . that caused the only goal of the match on the other hand well built players like essien and mikel had no problem coping with that .

also one of the things that i like about chelsea that we get into the field and i can see the opposition saying man they look tough and we are tough ..... i hope we won't have a lot of Kakutas and McEacherans in he team i mean they ar both superb talent and look very promising , i expect big things for them specially josh . but two very small short players is enough , more than two and we will lose our physical presence .

we will lose our physical presence .

Very good point.

We used to dominate the midfield battle with the likes of Mikel, Essien and Lamps. A couple go missing and the likes of Ramires steps in and their getting bullied all over the park. Looking at the likes of Josh and Gael Kakuta. OK their only 17 and i think Kakuta is 19 but over time surely they'll have to get on the weights and put some meat on them bones so like BLionheart said, we don't lose that physical presence that was always associated with Chelsea's midfield.

McEachran just proves strength isn't everything. He does not panic when there are 2 giant players attempting to take the ball off him, he's so calm and composed that he can simply play his way out of it.

Also, when C.Clifford breaks into the squad we'll see an instant injection of strength. He's quite a presence in midfield.