Arnesen considering calling it a day?

LDN Blue

An article from the Telegraph about our Sports Director..

Frank Arnesen is understood to be considering his future at Chelsea. With his contract set to expire next May, the club’s sporting director is, according to sources close to him, wondering whether his job is done, and if he needs a new challenge.

If he did go it would leave one of the highest profile and most lucrative – given he is paid £2 million a year – vacancies in world football.

Little wonder the likes of Txiki Begiristain, Barcelona’s former sporting director, have been trying to position themselves as Arnesen’s potential replacement.

But Begiristain, who has also been linked by his supporters to Tottenham, has no chance, especially as the perception is that his role in developing Barca’s dream team has been overblown and that, actually, he doesn’t have an impressive track record in recruiting players.

In any event, Arnesen may stay. Certainly there is no immediate plan for him to go. There have been no bust-ups, no rows. He enjoys a very strong relationship with manager Carlo Ancelotti after a tempestuous start to his career at Stamford Bridge when Jose Mourinho was there.

The uncertainty comes as the 54 year-old is finally seeing his expensive youth development programme yield a return.

Arnesen will feel that the emergence of Josh McEachran, Gaël Kakuta, Patrick van Aanholt and Jeffrey Bruma is vindication enough after years of criticism — often led by Mourinho – that he was failing.

The way he arrived at Chelsea, poached from Spurs with £5 million compensation paid, added to the pressure on a man billed as Europe’s best talent-spotter but whose purchases, such as Franco Di Santo and Miroslav Stoch, struggled. (blink.gif)

Since Mourinho’s departure, Arnesen has gained the title of sporting director, a seat on the football club board and a say in first-team affairs. If he does depart, it will be a big role to fill.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Arnesen's role has changed to Sporting Director, so his role is different to what they are suggesting which is player recruitment. And my understanding of what Begiristain's role would be is that of negotiatior of deals to sign players. For me Arnesen has done a very good job, our youth set up is immaculate and whilst we brought through our own talent he also scouted some excellent foreign players like Bruma, Kakuta, Van Aanholt and Borini who we are seeing emerge now. The main aim of the academy now will be to bring through players we have developed from a young age like Josh McEachran. So for me i would like Arnesen to stay.

Well Arnesen's role has changed to Sporting Director, so his role is different to what they are suggesting which is player recruitment. And my understanding of what Begiristain's role would be is that of negotiatior of deals to sign players. For me Arnesen has done a very good job, our youth set up is immaculate and whilst we brought through our own talent he also scouted some excellent foreign players like Bruma, Kakuta, Van Aanholt and Borini who we are seeing emerge now. The main aim of the academy now will be to bring through players we have developed from a young age like Josh McEachran. So for me i would like Arnesen to stay.

Completely agree Esk :goodpost: