Alex - Ramires like Essien

Badboy

Chelsea defender Alex has compared the club's new signing Ramires to current midfield star Michael Essien.

Brazil international Ramires completed a big-money move to Stamford Bridge from Benfica last week and has been handed the No.7 shirt.

Alex feels his compatriot's playing style is similar to that of Essienspacer.gif and is confident Ramires will be a success for the Premier League champions.

"I was talking with Jose Bosingwaspacer.gif and we were saying how Ramires is a lot like Michael Essien," Alex told the club's official website.

Expectations

"He's not as strong as Essien, but he has the same style on the pitch.

"He goes forward very quickly, then he comes back and marks very well. He's a very good player.

"It's very important for me and the team that the midfielders go to shoot and arrive at the goal, but then get back to mark.

"He's almost the same as Michael Essien like that, so I am expecting a lot of goals, which is important for us.

"He will get to play with Michael Essien, John Obi Mikelspacer.gif and Frank Lampard,spacer.gif we have a very good midfield group and he will do a great job for us."

Skysports

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

we missed Essien so much last year ..good we have someone who could play the same role ,,think Ramires may prove to be very versatile and adaptable

Exacly he is probably along with Drogba the only one we struggle to replace !

Yeah saw this.. It's good for us because it means Essien, Ramires and Mikel will certainly be in competition to see who starts games. Will be a great contest and bring out the best in all 3 players

Definitely agree with you! I feel Essien and Ramires will work so well in midfield for us. Essien might have the edge in strength but they both have excelling speed.

I have just one small nag about them being in the same team. They said a couple of years ago that Ballack and Lampard failed to gel as a midfield unit because they were both too similar. The same applies with Lampard and Gerrard as far as England is concerned. Hopefully Essien and Ramires, despite their similarity will prove us wrong, and be a mouthwatering partnership.