The numbers 4, 7 and 9

Blueman

If you look at our squad numbers you will find that we have free significant vacant shirt numbers. These numbers have come to represent player roles and their importance in the world of football. Number 4 being the talented central midfielder, number 7 as the playmaker or second striker and number 9 the main goal threat. So my question is who would you like to wear these shirts in the near future? My picks are, 9:Sergio Aguero or David Villa 7:Frank Ribery 4:David Silva .

P.S: Just forget for a moment that the number 7 curse exists.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. matic

7. kakuta

9. borini

Well that's a good idea but I think these numbers should be given to established players.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alex didn't change to the number 4 actually; that was his number at PSV.

I don't know why but I just like the number 33 on Alex.

Numbers don't really matter in modern day football. They no longer represent a players position in the squad, so it doesn't really matter.

Well if it didn't matter then why do Ronaldo and Torres wear the number 9 and kaka and lampard the number 8 and Villa and Sheva the number 7.

Well if it didn't matter then why do Ronaldo and Torres wear the number 9 and kaka and lampard the number 8 and Villa and Sheva (He done FANTASTIC) the number 7.

And Terry 26 and Zola/Adebayor 25 and Ronaldinho 80 and Henry 14 and so on....Yeah there's some players that still believe that these numbers mean something but it has become more and more meaningless and will continue to do so. I don't believe that the number a player wears will effect his game in the slightest it's just a number, it really does not matter who gets what.

And Terry 26 and Zola/Adebayor 25 and Ronaldinho 80 and Henry 14 and so on....Yeah there's some players that still believe that these numbers mean something but it has become more and more meaningless and will continue to do so. I don't believe that the number a player wears will effect his game in the slightest it's just a number, it really does not matter who gets what.

Doesn't it give the player some confidence when he wears one of these numbers that he is a very important player for his team and manager?

It clearly isn't important to the modern day player otherwise every squad would be full of players numbered 1 to 11.

Having a marketable number is important. Take Zola for example, we'll always remember him as #25 we won't call him our #7 because thats the position he played.