Chelsea Need More Depth To Win Trophies

Chelsea Need More Depth To Win Trophies - Guus Hiddink

The squad needs numbers and quality if the Blues want to collect silverware next year, according to the departing coach...

43886_news.jpg

Guus Hiddink may be leaving Chelsea, but that hasn't stopped the departing coach from issuing the club some advice in regards to their recruitment policy over the summer.

Hiddink feels that the Blues' squad lacks the kind of depth that their rivals, especially Manchester United, possess, and that additions are badly needed at Stamford Bridge if the west Londoners wish to retain their status as one of England's 'Big Four'.

When discussing the issue with Sky Sports, Hiddink said, "It's not up to me to talk about that, but the people at this club know they must improve in depth because we have a good squad and a good team, but everyone knows that Chelsea has to compete on three roads [Premier League, UEFA Champions League and FA Cup]. "You need a squad not just of 14 or 15 or 16 players, but you need quality players all over the place.

"But that's not up to me, that's up to the new manager and the board, of course."

Hiddink returns now to his full-time position as coach of the Russian national team, and he concluded by admitting that he would miss English football, where he seemed very much at home.

"I said once when I was working in Spain, 'when I finish here, I will do something different, maybe related to football, but not in the flashlights of football as we are now'," he said

"I could not keep that promise, so I won't promise it anymore. But I will miss it, of course."

Edited by Kajo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with him. Whilst we have players like Belletti, Kalou and Ivanovic who can come off the bench and make a difference, a few of our squad members just aren't good enough for a squad that wants to win titles. There are specific areas, such as the defence and central midfield where we have great cover, but we don't really have many experienced and proven back-up options should Malouda or Anelka or Drogba get injured. Could do with signing another striker, a winger and a goalkeeper IMO.

Guus have right. He already said few weeks ago that we have to bring more younger players ,he said also the older players are important too becasue they got a lot of experience but we need this young lads. We should keep players like Malouda he improve himself in last few games so i think deserve for chance in next season and Anelka is the player who can really help us in next season the same like he did in this. Im not sure about Drogba he seems to be in shape right now but in next season next Chelsea manager could be unable to motivated Drogba the same like Scolari so it's big unknow.

It is clear our squad needs looking at. And hopefully we will finally get that this summer. We need more quality and we need to bulk up in certain areas. We need to do it now with a new man comming in otherwise we will struggle again next season.

African Cup of Nations will dictate a lot of our transfer activity..

I wouldn't think it will dictate our transfer activity. But losing both Essien and Mikel for the ACN is a worry. I certainly cannot see us signing any more africans because of the ACN, to lose 4 during the season is already too many.

I wouldn't think it will dictate our transfer activity. But losing both Essien and Mikel for the ACN is a worry. I certainly cannot see us signing any more africans because of the ACN, to lose 4 during the season is already too many.

Well I think then you have admitted that it will dictate our transfer activity.

Well I think then you have admitted that it will dictate our transfer activity.

Only in the sense that we not sign any Africans. It would be a little crazy of us to sign another holding midfielder purely for 1 months cover!!!! If it was me i would either ammend our formation during that time or play Jack Cork there or Michael Mancienne during that period...

Only in the sense that we not sign any Africans. It would be a little crazy of us to sign another holding midfielder purely for 1 months cover!!!! If it was me i would either ammend our formation during that time or play Jack Cork there or Michael Mancienne during that period...

Oh I don't think either of us were suggesting we'd sign a covering player for 1 month. Yeah, Mancienne has already shown he can play there against a big European team, I would be confident in leaving him there. Ballack can also play there, and Belletti if we keep him.

Good thread

He is in fact correct but the good thing is we have the money, scouting, and talent at the moment to do THIS and continue playing very well

Our rivals like to joke that we are much older....I disagree for the most part. i think we have players that can in fact win next year AND possibly the following and it would ONLY HELP if we could grab a few youngsters to play some the next year or so.

Our future still is INCREDIBLY bright

Oh I don't think either of us were suggesting we'd sign a covering player for 1 month. Yeah, Mancienne has already shown he can play there against a big European team, I would be confident in leaving him there. Ballack can also play there, and Belletti if we keep him.

Good point, it could be Belletii or Ballack (or both) are kept on purely for the cover during the ACN. Or we could possibly sign another holding midfielder, a younger one, i don't feel that Essien's best utilised in that role anyway....

What Dept is he talking about.? When you have 2 of your top midfielders out for almost 2/3rd of the season.( Deco and Essien). One of your top wingers out for half the season, your left back, back up out for 4 months. You cant just buy players and waste them on the bench assuming you will have a huge injury crisis. The only position where we need a back up is the left wing. Otherwise we have enough resources. May be sell old and buy young players.

We have enough strikers in Drogba, Anelka and Di Santo may be sell Kalou and get a Striker/Winger in Arnautovic.

The defense is suffice with Bosingwa, JT, Alex, Ivanovic, Mancienne, Ashely Cole. May be sell Carvalho. We shouldnt sell Ferriera. He is good as a back up player for Ashely.

Midfield is quite fine, with Lampard, Mikel, Essien, Ballack and may be get one more young midfielder. Sell Deco

On Wings we need a back up on the left wing. We have Stoch on the right and we should be buying Zirkov on the left wing.

Dept is not an issue here, the age is. Sell Carvalho, Belleti, Deco and Kalou since he hasnt lived up to the expectation.

And a Goalkeeper back up in ASSMAN would be good for Cech.

So technically we are selling one striker/winger and buying another striker/winger. We are selling one old midfielder and getting one young midfielder. We are selling two defenders and buying one left winger and a goalkeeper.

So I dont see what depth Hiddink is talking about. We were just plain unlucky to have our top players out for most part of the season.

Thats a squad of 23 players. We can also promote players like Cork, Bertand and Jacob Mellis. Now thats a squad of 26 players. What more do you want...?

P.S: I would have loved to see Ballack out as well, but it seems he has been offered a new contract.

Edited by warnie_666