£100,000-A-WEEK FOR JOE

JOE COLE will be offered a new four-year deal worth £100,000-a-week in the summer.

And that is despite the Chelsea star suffering an injury-hit campaign for the second time in three seasons.

The England star saw his season cut short when he damaged knee ligaments in mid-January. He had played just 20 games and will not return to action until pre-season training in July.

Two seasons ago injury ruled him out for five months, restricting him to just 24 games. But the Blues will still reward him with a new contract, despite his run of bad luck, in a bid to keep him at Stamford Bridge.

Popular

In the summer, Cole will have just one year to go on his current deal, meaning he could walk away for free in the summer of 2010.

Chelsea are in no mood to allow that to happen, especially knowing one of their most popular players is already being tracked by moneybags Manchester City and Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, who managed Cole at West Ham.

So the two parties have agreed to talk in the summer once Cole is fully recovered.

And the winger is well on track. His recuperation has gone so well that Chelsea sent him off for an eight-day break in Abu Dhabi last month because he was so ahead of schedule.

The Blues did not want him rushing back too soon and risking a setback that would sideline him again.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/2708...the-summer.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel so bad for Joe. He is one of my favourite players and I want anything to keep him at Chelsea. But 100,00 a week, plus knowing how injury prone he is, is a bit of a risk and could be a waste of money. I wish he could keep ft :S

Although, I think if we got rid of some of the players that are costing us, then we can bump up his contract. But not 100,000.

So good and sad in the same moment seeing Joey celebrating on the touchline.

He is so good and got wasted by Scolari pushing him into playing even he wasn´t fully fit. It´s a disgrace.

Just give him a new deal, not exactly 100.000 per week but a new deal.

He is the heart of Chelsea along with JT and Lamps for me

Joe has had some bad injuries in the last few seasons but he is has always been a quality player. I would love to see him stay longer and produce some of his best form for us. As time goes on i think he may be better utilised in the middle as he has never had blistering pace.