Scolari Hails Chelsea's Lampard As Best In World

Steve

Scolari Hails Chelsea's Lampard As Best In World

Frank Lampard popped up to spare the Blues' blushes - and Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari was quick to hail his midfielder...

Chelsea's domination of Stoke City did not translate to the scoreline until the last ten minutes.

The Potters got themselves a shock lead courtesy of a Rory Delap finish, but the Blues refused to accept defeat, got themselves level at the death of the game through Belletti, and Frank Lampard secured the winner in stoppage time from an outside-the-box lash.

Lampard was the stand-in captain for the day as John Terry pulled up injured in the warm-up, and he celebrated his 400th Chelsea appearance with maximum points.

Luiz Felipe Scolari claimed that if he was ever a national manager again, he would vote Frank Lampard as the best player in the world; a statement that former manager Jose Mourinho verbalised on multiple occasions during his days in charge of the Stamford Bridge squad.

"Frank is a part of the history of Chelsea," Scolari is quoted by Sport as saying. "Today was his 400th appearance. I think his family will remember for life this goal in the last minute. He's a man who is fantastic.

"If one day, maybe after two or three years, I go back to a national team and have a chance to vote for the best player in the world I will vote for Lampard.

"He's not only a player, he's a man. He likes his job, he likes to play. Every day what you need he gives to you. Before I had pressure, now I don't have pressure thanks to him."

The win ensured that Chelsea would not suffer back-to-back defeats following their 3-0 loss to League champions Manchester United.

"It's important to win because we win three points. We showed spirit and heart and tried to draw, tried to win. I think the group today it's more together than before. And that's important.

"It's the first time this year that we've scored in the last minute, although we've conceded some. After that every player was together."

He continued: "They came to celebrate but they didn't come just to me. I was the first man in front but they came because all of us are in this position, all of the players, all of the staff. Today they started to change their mentality, it's better."

Regarding the injury to John Terry, he added: "John felt his back before the game.

"The doctor tried to get him ready but it was impossible. It's a problem with his back and I think it's normal when you have this. In two or three days he'll be ready."

Goal

He should of got the crown of World player of the year 3 seasons ago imo.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I say it, but Frank Lampard of 08/09 is better than Frank Lampard of 05/06...

How dare you :P

Tbh, my take on it is that he's only started to look the player of a few seasons ago. Yesterday was the first time that I've witnessed Lampard take a game by the scruff of the neck this season. He's showed flashes of what he can do in previous games, but that was by far his best performance of the season.

I think he has had a dip in form recently, but with that being said, since late December he has started to perform brilliantly once again, like he was at the start of the season. Now is the time for players to stand up and be counted, and Lampard is certainly one of the first to do so and show his committment on the pitch. I'm delighted for him to score the winner as captain on his 400th appearance for the club. 123 goals in 400 games. Thats a goal in almost exactly 3.25 games.