Scolari defends JT

ESPN

Scolari leaps to defence of dismissed skipper

Luiz Felipe Scolari has described John Terry as "a very good captain" and condemned the red card shown to the defender in Chelsea's draw with Everton on Monday as "not normal".

England skipper Terry was sent off for a high challenge on Leon Osman in the first half of the goalless stalemate and must now serve a three-match ban, starting with the Boxing Day clash against West Brom.

Manager Scolari, who did not attend the post-match press conference, told ChelseaTV: "Maybe I look at the game and I change my mind, but I don't change my mind about (Monday).

"I looked at the game again and I don't change. It's the same as I thought (then). For me, it's not normal. I don't very well understand the decision.

"But he's the referee. After (the red card), John, he goes to his friend (Osman) to apologise, he goes off like normal. He's a very good captain, he accepts the decision from the referee."

Scolari confirmed he declined to comment after the match because he was angered by the decision from referee Phil Dowd and feared saying something that would get him into trouble with the Football Association.

"If I go to say something (straight after the game) maybe I say something wrong and I need more time to look at everything," he continued.

"I have to look at the game again, if something happened in the game. I need to be sure about this or that. I said no (to the press) at that time because maybe I'd have problems in the future - in that time I am not calm.

"If I go then I answer some questions and I'm angry."

There was good news for Scolari and his Chelsea side on the training pitch, though, with Ricardo Carvalho back in full training and close to a first-team return following a knee injury.

Scolari added: "It's the first time Ricardo has trained with us normally and I think after seven days - 10 days maximum - he'll start to play."

Meanwhile, fellow central defender Alex will be free to feature against West Brom after the Football Association confirmed the player would not face disciplinary action over an alleged stamp on Everton's Tim Cahill.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No point appealing. Dowd might have been a bit quick off the mark with ared, but its still a red he was perfectly entitled to give. Some refs might not have seen it as a red but to be honest, Terry gets away with this sort of challenge more often than not, so we cant really complain.