Stephen Appiah

Aesthetic Relic

Ghana Web

Chelsea Could Rival Arsenal & West Ham For Appiah

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has hinted at the possible signing of a free agent to cover for the loss of midfielder Michael Essien, who is out for six months with a serious knee injury.

The Ghana star has ruptured an anterior cruciate ligament to add to the Blues’ injury list and with the 25-year-old, who can also play in defence, set to be out for most part of the season, Scolari is keen to bring in an instant reinforcement without waiting for the winter transfer window.

“I have some idea about how to fill Michael's position and I told Peter Kenyon (chief executive) about them. He will try to do something today, tomorrow or next week,” Scolari is quoted as saying in Mail Online.

Essien’s national team-mate and the Black Stars captain Stephen Appiah could be a readymade replacement.

The 27-year-old former Juventus player is a free agent after having left Turkish club Fenerbahce. He is linked with Chelsea’s fellow Londoners Arsenal and West Ham.

The Gunners have since ruled out being on the trail of Appiah, with manager Arsene Wenger saying yesterday: “No, we are not on the case.”

Portsmouth were also linked with Appiah, who however has shown an inclination to move to a London club.

"Yes, I'm moving to London, I have two offers from Arsenal and West Ham and I will choose the better offer," the former Udinese and Parma man had said on Wednesday.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should go for him, we can't expect to have just one recognised DM for the season. The club would make a MASSIVE mistake if they overlook this player. Not only is he a fully-fledged international but he is very comfident on the ball and a strong, physical player, much like a more fine-tuned Mikel. Considering he would cost us nothing, we should just offer him better wages than the Spam and le Arse.

When he says better offer, he could mean money or the chance to play regularly.

He may well get both until early next year if he joined us, but would he get regular football once Essien and Ballack return to full fitness. Thats the only worry about getting him.

When he says better offer, he could mean money or the chance to play regularly.

He may well get both until early next year if he joined us, but would he get regular football once Essien and Ballack return to full fitness. Thats the only worry about getting him.

I would imagine the more money he is offered, is the sort of 'better offer' he is hoping for, but as you say, he may well get the chance for both, and Champions League football, which gives us an advtange over West Ham I suppose.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You