Portuguese striker joins Chelsea

Akemisu

Chelsea have signed Sporting Lisbon striker Fabio Paim on loan with a view to securing him on a permanent deal.

Chelsea have agreed a deal with the Portuguese club for the 20-year-old to join on an initial one-year loan.

Striker Claudio Pizarro recently left Stamford Bridge to join Werder Bremen on loan, while Andrei Shevchenko's future remains unclear.

Sporting have an excellent record in developing young players, most notably Cristiano Ronaldo.

Under contract to Sporting until 2010, Paim was loaned to Portuguese club Pacos da Ferreira last season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...sea/7575799.stm

Edited by Akemisu

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jewel in the crown at Sporting Lisbon, this young player is widely regarded as the biggest prospect at the Sporting Academy. At 14 and 15yrs years of age he was already producing better performances for Sporting Youth than both Cristiano Ronaldo and Ricardo Quaresma before him. All of the portuguese sport daily newspapers have already devoted considerable double-page spreads to him, where they have marked him out as a true gem.

I have checked his DOB and he has turned 16 just recently. His main attributes are described as extraordinary for one so young. Exquisite dribbling skills and good decision making, combined with terrific pace. He scores goals and creates goals, similar to Cristiano Ronaldo he can play either RW, LW or as the link-forward. i hear that he is also working to improve his defensive game too. his name is already being talked about in the same way as Cristiano Ronaldo and Ricardo Quaresma, although like both of these guys it may be a little while longer yet before Sporting finally decides to unleash him onto the Superliga. he started off as a Benfica supporter when he was younger, but he says he is now Sporting through and through.

When he used to play with his friends on the playgrounds they called him Romario. Amongst all of the current Portuguese players, he says the player who he admires the most in terms of sheer natural ability is Ricardo Quaresma. he was selected for an you-16's squad at the end of last year but got an injury which needed an operation in January. But i think he is now fit again. By all accounts this is the player that Utd will most likely be watching the closest at Sporting. in 2 or 3 years time a move to Utd linking up with C.Ronaldo could become a strong possibility.

found here: http://www.soccerpulse.com/forum/lofiversi....php/t2959.html

Edited by Adam.k

From whatever research I did on the net on this guy, I hav found out that this guy was a prodiy untill 16-17 yrs. He was a jewel. But a string of injuries between 17-20 yrs of age and off field antics, has affected his game in a big way. He has therefore been loaned out to several clubs for lat 4 years. Had he been so good he would be consistently playin in sporting lisbon's team.

I am not too excited by his signing.

From whatever research I did on the net on this guy, I hav found out that this guy was a prodiy untill 16-17 yrs. He was a jewel. But a string of injuries between 17-20 yrs of age and off field antics, has affected his game in a big way. He has therefore been loaned out to several clubs for lat 4 years. Had he been so good he would be consistently playin in sporting lisbon's team.

I am not too excited by his signing.

Ah... <_<

What do you mean by "off field antics", Warnie?

Lets face it, both Nani and Ronaldo went to United - if Paim was anything special he'd have gone there first. Sounds like he had the potential a few years back but a combination of a nasty injury and and right cocky attitude havent done him any favours. I wouldnt get over-excited about him just yet.

http://thechelseablog.wordpress.com/2008/0...his-fabio-paim/

Good article, misschief.

Given what I now know (he is pretty much a disgraced prodigy), I think it'll be a real indicator of what BPS is like as a mentor, coach and person. Of course I want him to fulfill the great amount of potential that was claimed back in the 2004 article, but it looks like fame has gotten to his head too early.

This kid will certainly be a character, one way or the other! :lol:

2 out of 3's not bad Steve.... ;)

Ya know... I keep it professional when I'm out and about... professional meaning that I drink all the booze I order!

If he gets his head straight, which given the amount of locker room leadership we have should happen, he may get his game back on point. We as a club need younger talent to replace the older players as they leave. I was a lil bummed when we didn't sign Giovanni from Barca, I wanted to see him with us.

Edited by pablo814