Ballack

Ballack's a Chelsea stayer

MICHAEL BALLACK reckons he could stay at Chelsea until he retires.

The Germany captain, 31, has a year left on his contract at Stamford Bridge but would be happy to stay longer.

Ballack looked set to leave the club after just one season when his relationship with former boss Jose Mourinho broke down.

But when the Portuguese left and Ballack returned to fitness, the German hit impressive form, helping the Blues come within a penalty kick of winning the Champions League.

Asked about ending his career at Chelsea, Ballack replied: “I can imagine it. I still want to play two or three more years at this level.”

Ballack claims he is not fazed by the heartbreaking nature of Chelsea’s Champions League final defeat.

He said: “I won’t let things like that drive me crazy.”

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing the difference a season makes, lol. I totally want to see him stay at Chelsea and if Scolari can get past his little nudge on Ferreira, he should be begging Ballack to sign.

Scolari has been singing Ballack praises so i am sure that won't be an issue.

What is an issue for Ballack and for our squad in general now is the ages of our players and the contracts that they want in terms of length. Playing at the very highest level into your 30's is not the easiest thing to do and it is hard to know how long a player can keep it up for

Obviously age is a factor and thats something Chelsea need to start looking at. But obviously players his age want contracts to see their careers out, after all, would anyone really fancy taking on a job that they knew would leave them unemployed and possibly unemployable before they were ready to retire?

Right now though, we'd be mad not to give Ballack a decent contract.

Obviously age is a factor and thats something Chelsea need to start looking at. But obviously players his age want contracts to see their careers out, after all, would anyone really fancy taking on a job that they knew would leave them unemployed and possibly unemployable before they were ready to retire?

Right now though, we'd be mad not to give Ballack a decent contract.

I agree.

How much longer do you give him though? He is 31 now with a year to go on his contract to take him to 32 when his current contract finishes.... a 2 year contract would take him to 34, he may well want a 3 year contract to take him to 35. It is very very hard to know if he will be able to play at this level 33, 34, 35? Who knows. And he he can't keep up we have him tied down to a contract and won't be able to move him on.

Its really hard to say Esk, no-one can tell which way a player will go and what their fitness levels will be like as they get older but being over 31,32 doesnt necessarily equate to a player deteriorating or being less worthy of a place.

Its really hard to say Esk, no-one can tell which way a player will go and what their fitness levels will be like as they get older but being over 31,32 doesnt necessarily equate to a player deteriorating or being less worthy of a place.

Absolutely not, but you can understand a clubs reluctance to offer anything over a 1 year extension on a contract at this stage. Aparently also the reason the Lampard contract is being held up. The Arse have their policy of no longer than 1 year contracts for over 30's, and at times it has cost them, but other times they have been right to do so.

Like you say it is impossible to judge, both parties would push for the option that suits them best.