Save of the Season

Save of the Season  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What's The CFC Save of the Season?

• Cech versus Rooney
    • Cech versus Mido
    • Hilario versus Santa Cruz
    • Cech versus Johnson
    • Cudicini versus Berbatov
    • Cech versus Kuyt
    • Cech versus Tevez and Carrick

As a goalkeeper, I'm used to being left in the dark as strikers and midfielders take all the glory. It is much the same not only at Chelsea but all across the football world - the efforts of the man between the post are much-maligned and in my opinion, unfairly criticised. With so many people focusing on the Premier League Goal of the Season, and with Chelsea's Goal of the Season award recently given to Juliano Belletti, I felt it only fair for our goalkeeping triumvirate of Cech, Cudicini and Hilario to have their efforts recognised.

Saves of the Season 2007/08

Petr CECH vs Manchester United

Wayne Rooney shrugged off Tal Ben Haim before launching a goalbound effort towards the top corner. Cech, at least six yards off his line, threw his frame to magnificently fist the ball over the crossbar, improbably denying a splendid effort.

Petr CECH vs Middlesbrough

O'Neill's whipped cross was met by the head of Mido, whose glancing effort was excellently tipped away by the Chelsea goalkeeper.

Henrique HILARIO vs Blackburn

Replacing the injured Petr Cech on 64 minutes, Hilario's first contribution to the match was a nervous punch, but he redeemed himself moments later by superbly tipping away a corner-bound header from Santa Cruz

Petr CECH vs Everton

With Chelsea 1-0 up, Everton were desperate for a lifeline to reach the League Cup Final. Andrew Johnson's powerful nearpost strike look destined for the top corner but Cech came up trumps, powerfully fisting over.

Carlo CUDICINI vs Tottenham Hotspur

After Spurs had battled back from 3-1 down to level 4-4, the home side had a glorious chance to win the game when Dimitar Berbatov shrugged off his marker. Earning himself a yard of space, the Bulgarian fired a powerful strike goalbound, only for Cudicini to incredibly deny him with a fingertip save.

Petr CECH vs Liverpool

Steven Gerrard's clever headed ball found Dirk Kuyt unmarked and the Dutchman's instinctive effort was well hit, only to see it brilliantly saved by the legs of the stretching Czech goalkeeper.

Petr CECH vs Manchester United

After brilliantly denying Tevez from close range, the Czech was quick to his feet to deny Michael Carrick's effort, fisting the ball over the crossbar.

My vote goes to Carlo against Spurs. Unbelievable save.

Edited by BlueLion

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Cech against Berbatov for me, as a goalkeeper i know how difficult it is to react so quickly to the shot let alone get something on it, and getting enough on it to re-direct it is a different story altogether

All good stops -and crucial as well for many of them -Cechs legs against Liverpool was vital but with an element of luck.

Have to go for his CL Final double against Tevez and Carrick, lightning reactions and excellent positioning - would have cost us the match at half time, with no coming back

All good stops -and crucial as well for many of them -Cechs legs against Liverpool was vital but with an element of luck.

Have to go for his CL Final double against Tevez and Carrick, lightning reactions and excellent positioning - would have cost us the match at half time, with no coming back

I did like those saves a lot, but i didn't go for them because the shots were straight at him, so not the hardest he will make.

I did like those saves a lot, but i didn't go for them because the shots were straight at him, so not the hardest he will make.

But it's the positioning that makes them look easy. They kept us on track for the cup, and revitalised us, along with Lampards equaliser, for the 2nd half.

Theres loads of top stops hes done all season as well as the above list. Hilarios is worth a mention -gave him confidence, as it's not easy coming on like that

But it's the positioning that makes them look easy. They kept us on track for the cup, and revitalised us, along with Lampards equaliser, for the 2nd half.

Theres loads of top stops hes done all season as well as the above list. Hilarios is worth a mention -gave him confidence, as it's not easy coming on like that

The one in the final was definately the most important. Put for the pure ability in the save i love the Carlo one against spuds.

Well I struggled to narrow them down to six so much I had to include a seventh. I could have done more, but I completely agree with you Esk. One could vote in terms of importance and in terms of the most classy save.