2014/2015 season - Goalkeeper  

116 members have voted

1. 1. 2014/2015 season - Petr Cech or Thibaut Courtois

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All attention will clearly be focused on who will be our stikers next season, but it will surely be interesting to see what Jose does on the other end of the pitch as well...

Courtois or Cech? Hard choice for sure!

Atletico's CEO on Courtois staying another year—"It was all agreed but the [CL] draw & payment of the clause put the operation on hold. What happens with him will be decided after the Champions League final." 2/2 (Guardian) #CFC

Welp. I take that one of two ways: either he's definitely staying there another year or the whole fiasco with the clause and payment pissed us off and we're now recalling him. Hopefully the latter.

I don't think anyone who wants courtois doesn't think cech can be top draw for another year or maybe 2.

But the window is closing and eventually he might find himself not wanting to constantly be loaned out and all of a sudden we lose a keeper who is already top 5 in the world and we could have for 10+ years.

In an ideal world everything works out, but if I try and remove my appreciation of cech and think purely long term, courtois should be back this year or next year latest.

Both. Cech will be still recovering some time, it would be great to give Courtois role in CL and Cech in PL or vice versa.

If things wont work we can still sell one in january/summer.

Im pretty sure thats going to happen. Mou said he will count on Courtois next season and we wont sell Cech while he is recovering.

Depends entirely on how fit Cech is. If Courtois plays the entirety of pre-season because of Cech's injury concerns (you definitely cannot rush someone back from a dislocation), then he should start the season as first-choice.

I don't think anyone who wants courtois doesn't think cech can be top draw for another year or maybe 2.

But the window is closing and eventually he might find himself not wanting to constantly be loaned out and all of a sudden we lose a keeper who is already top 5 in the world and we could have for 10+ years.

In an ideal world everything works out, but if I try and remove my appreciation of cech and think purely long term, courtois should be back this year or next year latest.

Another loan without him signing a new deal and he's as good as gone.

Both. Cech will be still recovering some time, it would be great to give Courtois role in CL and Cech in PL or vice versa.

If things wont work we can still sell one in january/summer.

Im pretty sure thats going to happen. Mou said he will count on Courtois next season and we wont sell Cech while he is recovering.

They are both to good to be benched for pl or cl games imo, this wont work

Agree with this 100%.

We have an exceptional talent here. Sentiment can't play a part in this decision. At 21 we have a world class goalkeeper for the next 15 years. With Cech we have a 32 year old goalkeeper in slow decline.

Say Cech get's the nod as number 1. Courtois will almost certainly leave. Then what? Cech will last another 3/4 maybe 5 years max, then we struggle to find a replacement similar to United with Schmeichal and Arsenal with Seaman. All this time Courtois is the world's number 1 keeper, performing wonders for another club and we're left thinking 'if only'. We CANNOT let that happen!

Yes, it will hurt to not see Cech between the sticks from now on. He will go down in Chelsea history, there is no doubt about that. But, we have to do what is best for the club. And, it is a shame to say it, but the best/only way forward is Courtois.