Chelsea 1997/98 SEASON REVIEW

MrExcalibur100

My first topic created, so I'l begin with this. It was the year that I first fell in love with this great club and what an epic season it turned out to be! Success in the Cup winners cup against Stuttgart and winning the league cup at Wembley, all this while arguably playing the sexiest football in England. We also did ok in the league, but our challenge petered out when Bates inexplicably fired Gullit, who was doing a fantastic job. Why Bates did it, we will never know. Gullit won us the FA cup in the previous season and had us playing some lovely football. He brought in top quality international players that season (the likes of Zola, Di Matteo, Vialli, Lebouf.....all Chelsea legends today) which is precisely what took us to the next level, leading up Roman buying the club.

That's why I start with this one. And oh, it was also the first time I went with my brother to the Bridge to watch us play against a mediocre Spurs side. We won 2-0. Too young at that time to fully appreciate all of it, but I haven't looked back since :D :blue scalf: :blue scalf: :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cant comment much about it. at that time my fave club is madrid like other kids, then i set my eyes on chelsea after uefa super cup. and became chelsea fans in late 2003 after realize madrid was still shit with their galaticos and my main reason to fully committed is because strange man came from nowhere and said he's the special one

but strangely, every time i saw demichelis played, it bring back memory of jes hogh instantly :D

I think Gullit was given the sack by Bates because, as with these things, he wanted a contract with more money.

Bates is a stubborn old bastard and doesnt like being dictated to. Couple that with Gullits George Best lifestyle, and a penchant for getting his knob serviced, its no surprise Bates turned to the more conservative values of Vialli.

Theres no denying that Hoddle signing Gullit as a player, was as big a catalyst in propelling the Chelsea we know now to the heights, as Abramovich buying the club.

My first topic created, so I'l begin with this. It was the year that I first fell in love with this great club and what an epic season it turned out to be! Success in the Cup winners cup against Stuttgart and winning the league cup at Wembley, all this while arguably playing the sexiest football in England. We also did ok in the league, but our challenge petered out when Bates inexplicably fired Gullit, who was doing a fantastic job. Why Bates did it, we will never know. Gullit won us the FA cup in the previous season and had us playing some lovely football. He brought in top quality international players that season (the likes of Zola, Di Matteo, Vialli, Lebouf.....all Chelsea legends today) which is precisely what took us to the next level, leading up Roman buying the club.

That's why I start with this one. And oh, it was also the first time I went with my brother to the Bridge to watch us play against a mediocre Spurs side. We won 2-0. Too young at that time to fully appreciate all of it, but I haven't looked back since :D :blue scalf: :blue scalf: :D

you joined just as the good times were starting ,, Getting Hoddle was the master stroke of Bates .. before that we just enjoyed our small triumphs and dreamed

of maybe winning the cup again..

This is the first full season i can remember. FA Cup in 97 the first match i can ever remember watching.

I vividly rememeber Franco coming off the bench to score the goal against Stuttgart. :blue scalf:

I suppose i have been very, very lucky really. I have only ever known success at this club. I would have liked to have followed us during those days in the late 70's and 80's. Must have been so much more fun. I have heard fantastic stories from them days.

• 4 weeks later...