Pre-season player focus - Andre Schurrle

hjperdeath

The first in a series of short essays focusing on the stars of pre-season, this article looks at the impact German international winger André Schurrle has made in his short time at Chelsea.

Our most expensive signing of the transfer window so far - at a heady £18 million - should perhaps have already been in the Stamford Bridge locker room a year before. The player has been a part of Chelsea's successful pre-season so far; playing an important role in a side that has notched five consecutive wins; scoring 17 goals and conceding only twice in the process.

André's most significant contribution during this fine run of pre-season form was a goal against AC Milan. He volleyed the ball into the back of the net from 15 yards after receiving it from Moses. It was a magnificent finish and is testament to the player's under-rated technical ability.

The young German had scored 14 goals (three of which were long-range howitzers) and picked up 10 assists for Bayer Leverkusen last season. He is most widely- known for his blistering pace down the side-lines, and is an excellent catalyst in initiating fast-paced counter-attacks. He is a classic left winger because of his ability to cut in onto his stronger right foot. Many have argued that his main role is as an inside forward, due to his ability to pass quickly and pick out the incisive final third pass.

Watching him dart down the sides brings back memories of Arjen Robben and Damien Duff doing it in a vintage Fly Emirates kit. His strengths remain his pace and ability to make decisions quickly. His ability to play as a front-man has also been long talked about at both club and international level - if Joachim Low didn't have Mario Gomez and Miroslav Klose as options upfront, then Schurrle would surely have had a shot as Germany's number nine.

Moreover, his work-rate should never come into question, as Leverkusen's philosophy revolves around wingers coming back to defend. He is basically an improvement defensively on the flank for Chelsea, whereas last season of all the players to be employed out wide, only Oscar was truly willing to come back when compared to Hazard and Mata. With more than 40 tackles and interceptions last season in Germany, he seems a natural fit into Jose's system.

So where exactly is the best place to employ this versatile attacker? Afterall, he provides depth on the left-wing and upfront, and if needed he could also operate in the number 10 role in place of Juan Mata.

Looking at his skills set - his defensive contribution, his prolific ability to attack on the counter, and his natural tendency to cut inside from the flank and shoot at goal, I would slot him on the left; with Mata in the centre and Hazard on the right. The German can cut in with his right foot, the Spaniard is most comfortable in the centre, whilst Hazard is frankly brilliant wherever he is played.

The only problem we have is with fitting Oscar in. Until Schurrle proves that he does indeed deserve the left flank, Mata could be used while Oscar picks up the attacking midfield position. Another viable option would be to convert Oscar into a pivot player or as one of the midfielders in a 4-3-3. This would give Schurrle, Mata and Hazard a permanent position in a 4-2-3-1 while spending rest of their time focusing as the front 3 in a 4-3-3. While this topic of converting Oscar has been long discussed, many don't see a future to it.

In conclusion, Schurrle provides depth in multiple positions, which makes this transfer an all the more exciting prospect for the future. Multiple tactical philosophies such as the false 9, inside forward, defensive or fake wingers pop up thanks to this prudent investment.

As we saw at Leverkusen, we saw that thanks to his goalscoring prowess and creative ability, he was decisive in the outcome of almost every game.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do feel that Oscar can inherit the pivot role and work as a dlp instead of a cam role or occupying the right flank. I pretty much agree to everything you wrote.I see him scoring a lot of conterattacking goals this season. Thats for sure

I really do feel that Oscar can inherit the pivot role and work as a dlp instead of a cam role or occupying the right flank. I pretty much agree to everything you wrote.I see him scoring a lot of conterattacking goals this season. Thats for sure

Yeah, the way he controls the tempo is phenomenal for his age. The moment we bought him in, everyone forgot about Modric !

Great work, mate.

I think (and hope) that the German has not showed everything he got in preseason and to be honest I'm rather glad. Last season Marin was our best player in preseason and it created expectations around him that he could not live up to. I think it would be the smart move to slowly integrate Andre into the team. He's obviously technically and physically gifted, and he'll have plenty of chances to prove that.

The good thing is that we have De Bruyne...inspite of being a winger, he works better in a more centralized role imo from what i saw from this pre-season. He can virtually fill in everywhere from the pivot to CAM to either of the flanks. I think our midfield is pristine. Not sure about the defense and strikers( In Romelu we trust)

Great work, mate.

I think (and hope) that the German has not showed everything he got in preseason and to be honest I'm rather glad. Last season Marin was our best player in preseason and it created expectations around him that he could not live up to. I think it would be the smart move to slowly integrate Andre into the team. He's obviously technically and physically gifted, and he'll have plenty of chances to prove that.

So much for our German Messi...the lads's still the star of pre-season at Seville :carlo:

True that. There are a few players who can provide depth in multiple positions. talk about value for money. B)

Andre's lucky there are so many good players around him in a way. Not many people will have high expectations from him on the first day. He can settle in slowly.

Great work, mate.

He hasn't at all tbf. What we've seen so far is probably Schurrle at 60%. When he's up and running, fit and sharp, he's a lot more dangerous.