Ten Cates May Be The 'fall Guy'

From the Independent. This is worrying.

'Glorious failure' may save Grant as Ten Cate is warned about conduct

By Jason Burt

Tuesday, 11 March 2008

The pressure is on the Chelsea manager Avram Grant to try to save his job but the role of his assistant, Henk ten Cate, is under equal scrutiny at the club. There has been an angry reaction to the coach's outburst over the weekend when he spoke to the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf and accused players of "deliberately leaking stuff" to the British media.

Relations between Ten Cate and the players have been strained for some time and that erupted before the Carling Cup final in his row with John Terry over his treatment of midfielder John Obi Mikel and his own selection for the match. Now the Dutchman is understood to have been told, by the club's board, that he must toe the line in future.

It adds to the strained atmosphere at Chelsea with Grant effectively on warning that he needs to win either the Premier League or Champions League to save his job. However, "glorious failure" may suffice especially as the owner Roman Abramovich is keen to have the Israeli in place for the start of next season.

The Russian billionaire, however, understands that it would be foolish to stick with Grant if results are poor and the manager appears to be out of his depth.

However, he will give him every chance of succeeding although the so-called "Dutch faction", which includes Chelsea's head of youth development Frank Arnesen and the unofficial scout Piet de Visser, are believed to be sceptical as to whether Grant can succeed. If he does carry on, there is likely to be a major overhaul of the squad this summer, starting with last year's free signings – Juliano Belletti, Tal Ben Haim and Steve Sidwell – and including Florent Malouda, who cost £13.5m from Lyons, and Carlo Cudicini. The futures of Frank Lampard, with one year left on his contract, and Didier Drogba are also in some doubt, as both are "big personalities" in a dressing room that may need to change.

Grant may also try to bring in an Israeli coach to work alongside him. The two names mentioned by sources are Eyal Lachman and Ronny Levy. Lachman works for the Ghanaian club champions, Hearts of Oak, and it is thought that he has already done some scouting for Chelsea. Levy is with the Israeli club Maccabi Haifa.

Let Ten Cates take the blame, and get in another useless Jew. Brilliant. At this rate I'm going to be seeing more of Bristol City

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great atmosphere since Grant took charge of the team : unbelievable... The only thing to do to sort it out, sacking Grant as soon as possible and he thinks bringing another useless Iraely at his side ? Who does he think he is ? I even can do a better job than him even I don't have manager graduations...

F*** OFF GRANT !

Well I would have thought Grant would want to keep Ten Cates. He makes Grant look slim and butters his bagels.

His two new assistants from Israel - Hymie 'bibs' Goldstein and Ronnie'cones' Levy will bring the exciting football. They'll take us to a new level.

Well I would have thought Grant would want to keep Ten Cates. He makes Grant look slim and butters his bagels.

His two new assistants from Israel - Hymie 'bibs' Goldstein and Ronnie'cones' Levy will bring the exciting football. They'll take us to a new level.

which level ? Championship level ? :whistling:

Edited by Hingis

If this happens then I utterly give up. I wont be wasting any more of my emotions on that club if it comes to that.

I've been getting increasing pissed off with football over the last couple of years anyway and if Roman starts all this shit then that'll be it for me. I already want us to lose the league this year and go out of the next round of the Champions League in the hope of getting Grant out.

I hope Derby fucking tonk us tomorrow, maybe that will provoke a reaction from the Jewish Board, not to mention our majority of fans who are sadly very, very meek and fickle

At the risk of being labelled racist here - although tbh Im well and truly past caring - what the fuck are they trying to turn us into? Is it not bad enough we've got one clueless nobody kissing Roman's arse and doing very little else in terms of his actual job, now they want to bring in more. What's next? Stewards in skull caps and a Rabbi on every gate?

At the risk of being labelled racist here - although tbh Im well and truly past caring - what the fuck are they trying to turn us into? Is it not bad enough we've got one clueless nobody kissing Roman's arse and doing very little else in terms of his actual job, now they want to bring in more. What's next? Stewards in skull caps and a Rabbi on every gate?
I call that freedom of speech.Nothing racist there.I wish the fans tomorrow would express what you're expressing.Sadly though,they won't.

Will someone please remind me again why this country fought two world wars?

I call that freedom of speech.Nothing racist there.I wish the fans tomorrow would express what you're expressing.Sadly though,they won't.

Will someone please remind me again why this country fought two world wars?

We fought Two world wars to keep the Freedom, Freedom for the natives of every other fucking country to stroll in here as they please and bleed our Education and Health budgets dry. I swear, give it 20 years and the one of the most common names in Glasgow will be Stawczewski.

Anyway, I'm digressing somewhat from the topic. I have saved myself a good few quid from my self imposed boycott of the club since Grant appeared. What I was kind of half hoping for was the first game after he had been sacked I would be down with a large wad, and any interested parties could have met me in perhaps the World's End, or the Gunter, Water Rat, etc, etc, I would have gladly splashed out my savings on a few liveners........That increasingly looks some way off yet. By which time I'll be cheering on the Amber and Maroon of Motherwell :rolleyes: