The new blues.

Shane

Chelsea winning the Champions League went beyond everyone's expectations. At the time, Obviously the final was massive for the club, to qualify for it next season, and to prize new transfer targets to Stamford Bridge. When we won it, No one would have predicted the current signings we're making.

Change was need at SW6 for a long time. Most of us would have preferred it last year, But it didn't really happen. We signed Juan Mata, Romelu Lukaku and Gary Cahill joined in January. Two of the three have made big impacts, Where as Lukaku has found himself frustrated on the bench and reverses.

When Liverpool won the Champions League back in 2005, They had a squad that was worse then ours, but they failed to bring in any players of true quality. Liverpool fans must be still kicking themselves that they didn't use their 'European Champions' tag to bring in big name players. Instead, they brought in the likes of Jan Kromkamp, Robbie Fowler (I know), Boudewijn Zenden, Mark González, Salif Diao and Zak Whitbread. They did also buy Pepe Reina and Daniel Agger who would go on to have careers at Anfield, The rest where buys that you would expect from a Relegation threatend club.

Chelsea have looked at that, and decided that is not what they want. What followed at Anfield was only one title challenge in the next seven years, They did get to another Champions League final but again it was labelled a fluke, and AC Milan got their revenge.

So far, Eden Hazard and Hulk are practically done deals, with Marko Marin and Kevin De Bruyne confirmed before the Champions League final. This is a great statement of intent from the blues. Man United and Man City fans are already afraid of us.

Hazard was one of the most sought after players in world football. Zidane had hoped he would go to Real Madrid, saying "I would sign Hazard for Madrid with my eyes closed. I would sign him". Thats one of the worlds greatest players judging him. Its easy to see why 'Zizou' wanted him. He has been in Ligue One's team of the year the last three years in a row. Ligue One's young player of the year in '09 and '10, and Ligue One's player of the year the last two seasons in a row. Last season he played in all of Lille's league games, contributing twenty goals and fifteen assists. The season before, again playing every league game for Lille, he netted seven times and made ten, But in Lille's succesful cup run, he scored five times in seven games.

He got alot of abuse from opposing fans and media alike for the way he annouced who he was signing for on Twitter, but thats the way the game is going. He wanted to annouce it himself, and I don't blame him. This was a big move from him, and he made United and City fans wait that little bit longer, only for them to realise he was signing for the European Champions. Hazard will probably take the number eleven shirt, a signal of intent and ambtion already, as that number has the biggest boots to fill in world football at the minute.

Hulk is a player who has been linked with Chelsea for a long time, and it looks like its going to be completed in the coming days. What can you say about this man, usually plays on the right hand side as an inside forward. He is fast, strong and powerful, which is perfect for the Premiership. In ninty six games for Porto, he has fifty two goals and forty two assits. People may say the Portugese league isn't anywhere near the standard of the English one, Ramires and David Luiz have came from there in recent years, and they have adapted well with time.

Hulk's proposed fee has come into question, which is reported to be £38m. If true, In my opinion its a decent price for him. Maybe abit much, but its hard to find value in the transfer market today, unless your Newcastle. But his record does state that, with if you add his goal and assists record, and subtract it from his apperances, you get two (I'm nearly sure 96-94=2). That speaks volumes, and puts my mind to ease about his price.

For £2m less then we are paying for Hazard, Marin and Hulk, Liverpool bought Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson and Steward 'Lionel' Downing. Combined, they have six goals and eight assists in the league for Liverpool this year (Note: As I typed Andy Carroll into google to get his stats, the second recommend search was 'Andy Carroll jokes') also (Note: Liverpool fans still defend these transfers, even the one of Downing who contributed 0 goals and 0 assists for Liverpool this season, we got Juan Mata for four million more).

The attack is likely to be a front four, with Hazard and Hulk on the wings, Mata in the middle and Torres up top. The beauty of our attack now is the way it can change when things aren't going well. Here are some examples.

34zg0g2.png

28ixnkp.png

2w1t6yx.png

and when we're closing out a game, when can sacrifice either of them, on this instance I choose Mata, for a midfielder or defender.

2hf752d.png

This is ignoring substitutes we could have, like Sturridge, Lukaku, Marin, De Bruyne providing all stay. Maybe the likes of Kakuta will make it aswell. The next step is creativity from the midfield, But I think we could already have it.

Frank Lampard have reborn himself as a deep lying playmaker, and it will prolong his Chelsea career. He has been fantastic in that role towards the end of the season.Also, with the quality of widemen we have got, its likely we will play wider next year, and Hazard and Hulk both have killer passes in their locker.

The Fantastic Four, The Fab Four whatever you want to call them, They have the potential to rip the Premiership and Champions League apart next year.

More success to come it seems.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good post Shane!

It's funny how we were a club with a lack of wing-play before lifting the trophy, and now we practically have two of the best wingers just waiting for the window to open. :getin:

Let's just hope that our fab four are more productive than the fab fools of Liverpool!

Damn. Hazard likely to get the 11 shirt? I've grown up watching the modern-day Chelsea and to me that has always been Drogba's shirt... :cry:

Great article mate, exactly my thinking.

"They have the potential to rip the Premiership and Champions League apart next year."

Not just next year, many more years after. This could be something special. The only thing that would top the CL win is if we have an even more successful decade due to the likes of Hazard, Hulk, Mata and Torres!

A very good post Shane!

It's funny how we were a club with a lack of wing-play before lifting the trophy, and now we practically have two of the best wingers just waiting for the window to open. :getin:

Let's just hope that our fab four are more productive than the fab fools of Liverpool!

Damn. Hazard likely to get the 11 shirt? I've grown up watching the modern-day Chelsea and to me that has always been Drogba's shirt... :cry:

I'd imagine he will, Its the number for him imo. I know mate, Its going to take alot of getting used too not seeing Drogba batter around defenders, Rape Arsenal and score at Wembley. There will never be another one like him.

Great article mate, exactly my thinking.

Not just next year, many more years after. This could be something special. The only thing that would top the CL win is if we have an even more successful decade due to the likes of Hazard, Hulk, Mata and Torres!

Yeah, saw your post in the Eden Hazard thread after I posted this mate, Its the thing that excites me most about it all, One minute teams will be struggling to cope with the 4 the way it is, and you could swap all of them around!

Suits the 38 game season aswell, Different matches, different styles.

i have to say i will miss the days when lampard or drogba would turn up and drag us out of a hole but all things must come to an end i guess. i hope the new chelsea has as much character as the talent because that is what defines a football club imo