Ron Gourlay

Torres was a great signing?, WHAT!?, check his goal scoring records, check that price tag. He was never a great signing and never will be, only if he scores 30 goals every season from now on till he leaves Chelsea. He doesn't have any pace left, he can't work with our team still, he's not a good signing. Good player but not a good signing for this club by any means.

However if Gourlay gets Hulk for 30 million, my opinion on him will change, and in a good way because that's just amazing, a player who had the cost of 80 million.

I never said Torres was a great signing, I said from a business perspective the signing of Torres made a lot of sense, that is what a CEO does, he is there to run a business. That being said he hasn't been nearly good enough as a player I agree, although I'm sure we will think he is worth ever cent if he scores the winner on Saturday.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said Torres was a great signing, I said from a business perspective the signing of Torres made a lot of sense, that is what a CEO does, he is there to run a business. That being said he hasn't been nearly good enough as a player I agree, although I'm sure we will think he is worth ever cent if he scores the winner on Saturday.

I don't think it made a lot of sense to be honest, Torres played in a fast team with better creativity, we've always had Drogs with his back to goal. Torres is a goal scoring forward, goal scoring forwards cannot play in this current team.

your telling me a manager has no role in selecting new players?? lol

No, what I'm saying is that signing players and transfers is a lot more complicated in real life than on Fifa12. Not all players are available at the right price and Chelsea are after elite players, a very small pool of players that can improve the squad, very difficult to do deals for these players. I'm sure managers have input on signings but lets be honest they don't have time to be scouting and negotiating deals.

I don't think it made a lot of sense to be honest, Torres played in a fast team with better creativity, we've always had Drogs with his back to goal. Torres is a goal scoring forward, goal scoring forwards cannot play in this current team.

Again, I agree with you, as a player it probably was a bad move, however in terms of selling shirts, tickets and increasing revenue, great signing so in that aspect I say well done to The CEO for that piece of 'Business'

No, what I'm saying is that signing players and transfers is a lot more complicated in real life than on Fifa12. Not all players are available at the right price and Chelsea are after elite players, a very small pool of players that can improve the squad, very difficult to do deals for these players. I'm sure managers have input on signings but lets be honest they don't have time to be scouting and negotiating deals.

hey sherlock,i'm not advocating fifa12 on here.just saying the club should learn from past mistakes like torres,et al.

hey sherlock,i'm not advocating fifa12 on here.just saying the club should learn from past mistakes like torres,et al.

Seeing as you say they should learn from signings like Torres, then may I ask what problem you have with the signings they have made since Torres? Because I honestly think they have made some great ones since January last year. Signing players is only one part of what the board do they should be appreciated for everything they do.

Seeing as you say they should learn from signings like Torres, then may I ask what problem you have with the signings they have made since Torres? Because I honestly think they have made some great ones since January last year. Signing players is only one part of what the board do they should be appreciated for everything they do.

erm,about to be...Hulk.and don't tell me Lukaku wasn't overpriced

Again, I agree with you, as a player it probably was a bad move, however in terms of selling shirts, tickets and increasing revenue, great signing so in that aspect I say well done to The CEO for that piece of 'Business'

That's a good way of looking at it, and yeah we would of generated great Revenue, infact it probably almost justfieid his price tag when it came down to Merchandise.

But this is Chelsea FC, i am not going at you or saying you're wrong because you probably agree with me on this, we need to get players what are for the team not get David Beckhams and hope for all these shirt sales.

erm,about to be...Hulk.and don't tell me Lukaku wasn't overpriced

Hulk is nothing but a rumor and Lukaku was signed as an 18 year old prodigy for the future, hardly a bad signing, I'm quite sure he will need a few more years before he is the finished article and I recall most Chelsea fans wanting that signing to happen! So your argument is pretty invalid if you ask me

Hulk is nothing but a rumor and Lukaku was signed as an 18 year old prodigy for the future, hardly a bad signing, I'm quite sure he will need a few more years before he is the finished article and I recall most Chelsea fans wanting that signing to happen! So your argument is pretty invalid if you ask me

oh,i'm convinced!

We miss Wilkins and Clarke more than we will ever know for this as well as many other things.

Many star players have howlers of first or second seasons, even when they are bought as established stars. Torres was never a bad buy as he was World class and proved it. He took his time settling in to say the least but he may be coming on to it.

Conversely you can ruin a good player by buying him and not playing him, paying him a fortune then have him put it up his nose. I think the trick is buying quality and using it and/or bring on AND playing quality youth. We don't want another Bosnich or watch another Jody Morris freefall to the lower ranks of the SPL - just my thoughts..

Lets say the board's job is to run the club like a business. They are failing at that as well! The most significant complaint I have of the board is the pricing of the transfers! The incoming players seem so inflated and the outgoing players, of the same or much more caliber, are given away for peanuts. They seem so indifferent just because we have Roman to pump in the money.

And, if their job is to just run the business called CFC, why do they (clearly) poke their nose in the footballing aspects at the club?