Makelele Handed Coaching Role

Chelsea's veteran midfielder Claude Makelele has been handed an unofficial coaching role at Stamford Bridge by boss Avram Grant.

ClaudeMakelele_583635.jpg Makelele: Wants to coach

Chelsea can clinch a club record 10 straight wins in all competitions with victory over Portsmouth at the weekend and Makelele he is happy to be out on the pitch as well as helping out with coaching duties.

"Playing again feels really good," admitted Makelele, who recently had an operation on a perforated left ear.

"I have come back a bit early after my ear operation because the team needs me but I know my body and I am fine.

"I didn't play too much over Christmas but that was because the manager and me had a deal to keep me fresh and ready for this important time.

"The manager has told me he needs me for the big games to use my experience to do what is needed.

"But my responsibility is no longer just on the pitch. It is in training. It is off the pitch with the group and I am happy when I can do this to give my experience before I stop playing.

"My job now is also to give all my experience to the younger players in midfield and teach them now to improve their game.

"I teach them how to get in positions, how best to move on the pitch and make things difficult for the opponent. Players need to know when to pass, when to move and when to keep the ball. All these things are important.

"Now I am in a good position to help the younger players with this and not only make them better as individuals but also to work better for the team."

From Team Talk.

If true a cynic would say its another symptom of Grant not knowing what to do. Still, I'm sure he'll be a good coach, and would prefer him to Grant full time.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd find guys who don't rate pele or maradona but it'd be next to impossible to find one who doesnt rate maka..

the guy is bigger than pele or maradona, i mean which other player in the history of football has ever had a position named after him, 'the makelele role'..

all we can do is thank the cunts running madrid that time.. :P