Transfer spending lowest since 2006

Madmax

Premier League clubs' spending on players this season is heading for a four-year low.

Unless any big surprise deals are done, spending on transfers by English top-flight clubs is expected to total around £330million this summer - down 25% on last year and the lowest sum since 2006.

The Premier League's overall summer transfer spending peaked at £500million in 2008, and was down to£450million last year. In 2006, the figure was £263million.

Story

The story was published before the window closed yesterday, and taking the deals completed yesterday into consideration, total transfer spending is around the 350 million mark, a drop of 100 million from last year.

This is interesting because it's now clear that Man City are the only real 'buying' club in the Premier League, and despite all their millions spent over the last 3 years, the lack of big buys by the other clubs has actually resulted in a net decrease in total spending. We haven't really 'splashed the cash' since Sheva, which is good, and it shows that the days of spending big are over, unless of course, you're Citeh.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting because it's now clear that Man City are the only real 'buying' club in the Premier League

Yeah, we can say that. If they have spend the third of the total spend :wacko:

But i wonder why the english clubs have less spent money than the other past years... Is it because of the economical crisis (and the fact they do no more have money) or is it because of the future Platini's law ??

In any case I think it's a good thing. The english clubs can't keep going to spend money like that, otherwise the entire English Football would run to a disaster...

About Citeh, if they have still not have won a damn thing in 2 or 3 years then this team will be the new Leeds...

Its because we don't need to spend at the moment considering the squad we've got. Although I'm quite sure we'll see at least £100 million spent over the next two summer windows.

We did spend £31.6 million this year, though, and we made £12.15 million from transfers as well, so it has been a productive summer IMO.

Good summer for us and United, not so good for Arsenal, City and Liverpool tbh... either splashed out too much money or haven't bought anybody useful. Good that we have been a bit more cautious since Sheva...

I think it is more about the higher wages of the players that are around now-a-days as well. The fact is that about 5 years ago £15 millions would have been a 'major' investment, while now-a-days it is more of the average number that is spent, but yet a decent player now-a-days he can earn that it about 3 years on a basic weekly wage. To think that the probability is that the player will earn more then what the club paid for him in less that half a decade, is to me, ridiculous.

Man Citeh is only going to lose money due to the fact they have players with HUGE wagers that are sitting to waste on the bench then rather playing for the club on the pitch. I would rather have players like Kakuta on a slightly higher wage bill then some player coming in, pushing him down the order and not get paid to for a job he was meant to do because they're are six other players just like him. Youth is something Man Citeh isn't going to have while others like Chelsea are going to reek the rewards. The best thing Citeh has done is recent history is being slow to get Sturridge's contract sealed making us able to sign him.

My dad always said to me 'dont spend your money just for the sake of it' and its true, and thats the mentality the club have now, why spend millions upon millions when we already have a championship winning squad.

I ain't sure if it's the right place to post this...

here the table of the most spender Clubs during this mercato :

1. Manchester City (Angleterre) => £135,4m (162,5 M€)

2. Real Madrid (Espagne) => £65m (78 M€)

3. FC Barcelone (Espagne) => £60m (71,5 M€)

4. Juventus Turin (Italie) => £48,3m (58 M€)

5. Zenit (Russie) => £47,6m (57,1 M€)

6. Rubin Kazan (Russie) => £38,9m (46,7 M€)

7. Wolfsburg (Allemagne) => £36,6m (43,9 M€)

8. Genoa (Italie) => £35,9m (43,1 M€)

9. Benfica (Portugal) => £34,3m (41,2 M€)

10. Schalke 04 (Allemagne) => £32,7m (39,3 M€)

11. Spartak Moscou (Russie) => £31,8m (38,2 M€)

12. Chelsea (Angleterre) => £31,6m (38 M€)

13. Olympique de Marseille (France) => £31,2m (37,5 M€)

14. Fiorentina (Italie) => £30,8m (37 M€)

15. Lyon (France) => £30m (36 M€)

Wow, Spartak and Genoa spent more than us! Not really that surprising considering how little we actually spend this summer, but I'd never really have thought I'd see the day those two clubs would out-spend the Blues in the market.

We're not the "big stupid spenders" anymore, yay. It's more those bitches from Catalonia... hehe

Yeah. Exactly !

But for the other teams' fans, we will always be this "big stupid spenders", 'cause as you know, haters gonna hate... But we don't give a fuck blue%20scalf.gif

I have really been stunned when i've seen three russian team in this list...