The GAA Thread

irishblue

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That, is a very interesting idea... but wrong.:whistling::lol: Also, you're the first member who isn't Irish to post here too.:worship:

I feel proud 'cuz of that. I have written a little part of history here now :eyebrows:

Gaelic Automobiles association?

I feel proud 'cuz of that. I have written a little part of history here now :eyebrows:

Gaelic Automobiles association?

I'll post these few videos and see if you figure it out from there. These are pretty basic explanations too and probably won't highlight much of the best of the sports.

On that note, this is also for anyone else who hasn't a clue why I made this thread, or what its about.

Funnily enough rugby is a sport I have no interest in whatsoever, but Gaelic football does get described as a hybrid of rugby and football quite a lot. 'They' say its older than both, but who knows?:mellow:

Hurling rarely ever gets compared to anything, but people say almost always say it's crazy if they haven't experienced it before.:lol:

After that, there's also rounders and handball, but they're not as popular. They all come under and are governed by the Gaelic Athletic Association.

Funnily enough rugby is a sport I have no interest in whatsoever, but Gaelic football does get described as a hybrid of rugby and football quite a lot. 'They' say its older than both, but who knows?:mellow:

Hurling rarely ever gets compared to anything, but people say almost always say it's crazy if they haven't experienced it before.:lol:

After that, there's also rounders and handball, but they're not as popular. They all come under and are governed by the Gaelic Athletic Association.

my thoughts exactly :eyebrows:

It's good to have something "national" such as this that people will refer to your country :)

I guess so, but the only trouble there is no one outside that country is familiar with it. Ireland play Australia more-or-less every year in a game where they combine Gaelic football and Aussie Rules and call it International rules. I don't think it's even that popular among AFL fans in Australia to be honest, but it's a much bigger event here even when it's held in Australia. The AFL still gets a quite a good pool players through Gaelic football though, which has been a bit controversial over the past few years. The one advantage for players is that the AFL is professional and the GAA isn't, so if they're good enough in most cases they'll leave.

This weekend's results:

Gaelic Football

Connacht

Roscommon 2-12 Leitrim 0-6

Leinster

Wexford 1-24 Wesmeath 0-15

Carlow 0-14 Louth 0-13

Ulster

Donegal 2-14 Cavan 1-8

Hurling

Leinster

Kilkenny 1-26 Wexford 1-15

Munster

Waterford 3-15 Limerick 3-14

Ulster

Armagh 0-14 Down 1-10

Not too many surprising results there apart from Carlow in the football in my opinion. Hope they do well in their semi-final but I can't really see anything past a Wexford win. Roscommon are into the Connacht final, against either Galway or Mayo, so there's another month to go without any competitive football for them. I didn't watch it myself, but the Waterford-Limerick match in the Munster hurling semi-final went right to the death apparently so it sounded like a good one.

The first round of qualifiers has also been announced:

Clare v Down.

Laois v Tipperary.

Antrim v Westmeath.

Louth v Meath.

London v Fermanagh.

Cavan v Longford.

Wicklow v Sligo.

Offaly v Monaghan.