Cole On Injuries, Form And Goals

Steve

Ashley Cole has spoken on Chelsea's injury woes and how they have affected the team, as well as changes in his own game since moving from London rivals Arsenal...

Chelsea's form has been uncharacteristically erratic in recent weeks and much of that has been put down to their lengthy injury list. Full-back Ashley Cole addressed this issue in a recent interview with Chelsea's official website; though he conceded the injuries were a blow, he paid tribute to the London club's incredible squad depth.

"We have players out, and Didi [Drogba] has been out for a long time, but if we just keep doing our job at the back by not conceding, no-one can complain as long as we keep getting higher and nicking points," he insisted.

"It is hard when you have JT [John Terry] out but Tal [ben Haim] has come in and done well and Alex, how big is he? It is hard to get past him. And Ricky [Carvalho] is as great as he has always been."

A hot topic of debate since Jose Mourinho's unceramonious departure from the club has been the style of football played at Stamford Bridge.

Russian billionaire and club owner Roman Abramovich has become infamous for his desire of fantasy football to be played by his club, and it is widely implied without ever being explicitly confirmed that the Portuguese's pragmatic tactical approach was not well-received in the board room.

In truth, little has changed during Avram Grant's tenure; Cole addressed the tactical ethos of the club and, as one may have expected, it is fairly generic - barely differing from Jose Mourinho's style at all.

"Avram says, as many other managers would, attack when needed but stay back when you need to also as your job is to defend," explained Cole, who went on to hit back at criticism of his own form.

"From the moment I came here, everybody jumped on the bandwagon and said it is not the same, he doesn't attack any more, but sometimes you have to change the game and adapt to situations.

"Sometimes you can't win, if you attack too much, they say you can't defend and if you defend, they say you can't attack. It is a hard thing but you just try to do the best for the team, not worry what everyone else is talking about."

That said, the England international is still looking to open his goal scoring account with the Blues, and made no secret of his desire to contribute in an offensive capacity a little more than he has done since joining the club in his highly controversial and publicised move last season.

"I got a few goals at Arsenal, I am due a goal," he admitted. "I don't really get in the positions but I will get a goal, before I leave Chelsea I will score!"

Ashley Cole signed for Chelsea in 2006 in a £5 million deal plus the exchange of William Gallas.

Source: Goal

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how out of the whole interview, thats the one line that really stands out. I've always thought there was something missing from Cole's game at Chelsea and maybe that's the sentence that sums it up. Not saying he hasn't done a decent enough job, but for me, his heart's not really in it.

:mellow:

NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bridge is a top quality left back and is fondly remembered for "THAT" goal at Highbury. But Cole is a better left back for sure. Bridge against quality opposition gets caught out so much.

Bridge is a top quality left back and is fondly remembered for "THAT" goal at Highbury. But Cole is a better left back for sure. Bridge against quality opposition gets caught out so much.

Neverrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

He will be remembered for the goal i agree but he play well defence and offence,his crosses are top quality and i would play him over Cole anyday.Its not because Cole is a gooner its just that i prefer Bridge more.

Neverrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

He will be remembered for the goal i agree but he play well defence and offence,his crosses are top quality and i would play him over Cole anyday.Its not because Cole is a gooner its just that i prefer Bridge more.

Bridge is better going forward thats for sure. Cole is a much much better defender. Which is why you will see Cole played for the bigger games and Bridge for the games where he will be able to bomb forward, it is the ideal combination to have and we are very lucky to have them both.

The age-old Bridge versus Cole debate. In terms of defending, Ash tips it for me. He is quicker and I feel he fares better against the likes of Giggs and Ronaldo. Bridge provides more width going forward and is very skillful on the ball. His crossing is second to none.