The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Going to Cuba in a couple of weeks. Excited, not only because it will mean about a 35 degree rise in temperature but also because Havana is supposed to be absolutely fascinating and I am staying in an incredible villa for a week. Sometimes, life is sweet.

Are NHL fights staged? They sure look like it.

Not really. Sometimes they're staged in terms of both players agree to fight before the puck is dropped.It's really hard to fight in equipment on the ice though. The 70's and 80's was the glory period for enforcers...this is one of my favourites and it's only one hockey player involved. Everybody hates it when some stupid fan runs onto the field/ice/court and wouldn't be awesome if you could always do this?

When browsing the internet do you ever pause just for a brief moment and think to yourself: "how the fuck did I get linked to this website"?

It's truly one of life's enigmas.

It happens to me on youtube usually...like all the time actually :)

I'd be watchin a football vid then find myself lsnin to some vevo vid or smthn, without typing a search.

@TorontoChelsea, why did Owen Hargreaves choose England over Canada and Wales? It's not like England is more likely to win the WC than the other two.

Canada is shit at soccer. We barely ever make the World Cup so I get it when people would rather go to teams where they can have a chance to play in tournaments. It's frustrating because it keeps happening. We have players like De Guzman and Hoilett who won't commit to Canada. De Guzman is the most ridiculous because he is also eligible for the Netherlands but he's just not good enough to play regularly for them and he never will be. It's one of the problems of being an immigrant country. Everyone is eligible to play for multiple countries. One of the other difficulties is that if you play in Europe, flying back to North America for qualifying matches is incredibly tiring. If you're English, your qualifying matches will be all over Europe but 90% of your time with the national team will be within an hour or two of your home. If you have to go to qualifying games in Costa Rica and Los Angeles, it's a pretty big deal. In the late 90's and early 200's, we had a pretty decent team with a lot of Premier League and Championship players. Craig Forrest, Paul Peschisolido, Jim Brennan, Jason De Vos, and others...right now, Simeon Jackson is our only Premier League player.We have one player at PSV and the rest of the squad is lower divisions and league in Europe and MLS. It's hard to see a good future for soccer here.

One thing I find amusing about people like Hargreaves (Or Greg Rusedski or, to a lesser extent, Lennox Lewis) they are the only people generally referred to as "British". Andy Murray is a Scot, David Beckham is English, Garreth Bale is welsh, but Hargreaves was "British" (which basically means he's from somewhere else but has citizenship in the UK.)

Canada is shit at soccer. We barely ever make the World Cup so I get it when people would rather go to teams where they can have a chance to play in tournaments. It's frustrating because it keeps happening. We have players like De Guzman and Hoilett who won't commit to Canada. De Guzman is the most ridiculous because he is also eligible for the Netherlands but he's just not good enough to play regularly for them and he never will be. It's one of the problems of being an immigrant country. Everyone is eligible to play for multiple countries. One of the other difficulties is that if you play in Europe, flying back to North America for qualifying matches is incredibly tiring. If you're English, your qualifying matches will be all over Europe but 90% of your time with the national team will be within an hour or two of your home. If you have to go to qualifying games in Costa Rica and Los Angeles, it's a pretty big deal. In the late 90's and early 200's, we had a pretty decent team with a lot of Premier League and Championship players. Craig Forrest, Paul Peschisolido, Jim Brennan, Jason De Vos, and others...right now, Simeon Jackson is our only Premier League player.We have one player at PSV and the rest of the squad is lower divisions and league in Europe and MLS. It's hard to see a good future for soccer here.

One thing I find amusing about people like Hargreaves (Or Greg Rusedski or, to a lesser extent, Lennox Lewis) they are the only people generally referred to as "British". Andy Murray is a Scot, David Beckham is English, Garreth Bale is welsh, but Hargreaves was "British" (which basically means he's from somewhere else but has citizenship in the UK.)

The only notable person I can think of that chose another country over Australia is Christian Vieri. But it's understandable for him as he moved here when he was 6 and moved back to Italy as 16/17 year old.

And most of our players could have played for another nation.

Just found this:

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/12-coolest-nationalities-earth-050844?page=0,1

YEAH, SUCK THAT SPIKE SPIEGEL AND STINGRAY :D

Hahahahahahahahaha!!.

True, true, true :-)

Ps: I have such a weak spot for brazilian girls speaking portuguese ... Sigh. I melt every single time ...

Just found this:

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/12-coolest-nationalities-earth-050844?page=0%2C1

YEAH, SUCK THAT SPIKE SPIEGEL AND STINGRAY :D

What's that bullshit? Australians are more self depracating than Canadians. 90% of our humour is self deprecation.

The Napoleon Complex part is very true though.

Ah it is biased solely for two reasons:

1. The Brazilian wax

2. The typical brazilian 'behind'

Wins every time over f****** chocolate :-)

As much as I love chocolate, it can't compete with brazilian wax and especially what comes after that :)

On a side note, can't wait to taste some belgian chocolate and see how it compares to the rest.

I find this offensive.

Over 60,000 Australians died fighting for England in WWI. Another 150,000 wounded.

Over 40,000 Australians died fighting for Australia (..and England once again...) during WWII. 180,000 wounded.

ANZAC

So I guess we won it too:

http://www.jaymemonjardim.com.br/_english/aquarela/guerra/conteudo.htm