Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Blues Lose Cole Appeal

Ricky10

The Football Association has rejected Chelsea's appeal against the red card received by Ashley Cole in the 4-4 draw with Aston Villa.

Cole became the third player to be dismissed in a pulsating Boxing Day encounter as referee Phil Dowd adjudged that he had handled Gabriel Agbonlahor's header on the line.

The result was a penalty for Aston Villa in stoppage time and Gareth Barry scored to deny Chelsea victory.

Chelsea contested the decision and manager Avram Grant had been hopeful that Cole would be cleared by the FA.

However, the appeal has now been rejected and Cole must now serve a one-match ban which will see him miss Saturday's home game against Newcastle.

The news will come as a major blow to Grant, who has lost a number of players to injuries and suspensions in recent weeks.

Dowd's decision to send off Villa's Zat Knight in the same game was also upheld by the FA earlier on Friday.

Chelsea opted not to lodge an appeal against Ricardo Carvalho's red card.

ye well when i was watching the game today i was watching bridge very closely, i love the way he plays, i actually prefer it more than the way ashley does, i just panic when he goes forward and scared when sometimes he doesn't get back.. other than that hands down him over cole

He's back Tues anyway but hey.

Bridge is defo class and you easily forget it when he doesnt play in yonks.I remember when Ash was injured against BB and it was kinda ahhh what we gana do etc and Bridge and his passing against Charlton and his crosses are just woha.Ashley may come up tops against Ronaldo and such but Bridge is class