Is our midfield as dominant as it use to be?

Even before the injury to Essien, i feel we have lost that dominance we once possessed. I would have to say that against a few teams this season we haven't looked the part..

Last night against Arsenal it was evident that we lacked speed in our passing game. What do we put it down to? Players age? maybe, Players constantly getting swapped, probably. But, is it a bad thing? i am not so sure.. Speed may get you passing the ball a lot quicker, but if you don't know what to do with the final pass, its pretty much worthless. Although Ballack cops alot of flack sometimes, i think he is more important than we think. Our defense last night showed how well our players can scramble and how much they are willing to put there bodies on the line to stop the ball from going in. But do we want this?? Come Champions league Semi finals in May and god willing we make it there, Do we really want a midfield that can't keep up with the likes of Barcelona and co? Do we want to see our players scrambling in defense to stop the never ending waves of attack from Barcelona?? I think if we don't stop them in the midfield, we don't stand a chance.

So, does our aging midfield stand a chance come May? Do we have the team to get us that elusive Champions League crown? I hope so, but it will be hard..

Your views...

Edited by gary gordon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Midfield without Essien lacks the X Factor. We need him to drive the midfield. Also, With Essien we seem to be more adventurous. The passing has been Superb. No qualms on that. Ballack has been a bit of defensive midfielder. He does the tackles, wins the balls ahead of Mikel while Lampard plays further forward picking out the front three with his passes..

Yesterday we didnt even get out of second gear. The game was over in 30 mins. We just had to sit back absorb the pressure and hit them on counter. Typical Italian Football. Hence you didnt see much drive in the midfield as everyone was sitting back.

we are often up against 5 men midfields so less easy to dominate in certain parts of the pitch ,overall think our midfields both 3 man or man work well ..ballack gives an extra degree of stabililty and midfields still contribute in assists and goals.

Btw I am  wondering whose gonna replace Lampard when he is old? I mean seriously Lampard posses qualities such as vision & great passing... which midfield player in the squad can do this well?

Btw I am wondering whose gonna replace Lampard when he is old? I mean seriously Lampard posses qualities such as vision & great passing... which midfield player in the squad can do this well?

The player who will do this is already at the club and is a future star. His name is Conor Clifford.

Btw I am wondering whose gonna replace Lampard when he is old? I mean seriously Lampard posses qualities such as vision & great passing... which midfield player in the squad can do this well?

Just like Capello said i think that James Milner could do the job. Ballack gives us stability and calmness, works on tactics and did play a DM possiton a lot of times this season.

i agree with you .... ballack is playing a very important role he depends mainly on his experience to be at the right place at the right time may be ha cant run as much as essien and lamps but for sure he know how to move ..... but when essien is back the midfield will be way better although i think having anelka as a right winger is not as good as it looks like because he doesnt help defensively so that leaves the midfield with one to cover for him .....