Grant Vs. Mourinho

Hingis

In a word - NOTHING

Grant was appointed simply because he got to know Roman a few years back when he was managing the Israeli team.

Apparently in private Grant is meant to be very charming and charismatic (yes I know this takes some believing looking and listening to him).

He managed to convince Roman that he is a great attacking coach and he could do wonders if given a club to manage and Roman kept him in mind, moved him to Portsmouth initially and then against Mourinho's wishes moved him to Chelsea as Director of Football.

Grant in no way deserves on his current experience to be in charge of Chelsea, but he's Roman's mate and will not cause any waves in the media or amongst all the other hangers on like Arnesen, De Visser, Zahavi etc that hang around the club. Roman wants a manager who is low key, does not hog the limelight and rattles out games with 5-4 scorelines on a regular basis.

Grant was ironically renowed in Israel for his dull, pragmatic, safe football, so it's rather funny that Roman has apparently invested his faith for the new attacking style of Chelsea with him.

He also had a rep for playing tactically safe, he would rather keep the same players on the pitch until the end rather than make any quick changes during a game - too risky.

So Grant is not fit to wipe Mourinho's shoes but the critical thing in his favour was that he speaks Russian and has years of experience of sucking up to whoever he thinks can get him on in the world. And rest assured he will keep in with Roman until the bitter end, he has his chance of glory now, he will not give it up with a fight. Roman in turn truly believes according to gossip that he has found the next Arsene Wenger hiding out in Israel for the last few decades and will give Grant time to prove himself - hence the 4 year contract.

Although whether he will ever get to the end of 4 years I doubt it - probably get kicked upstairs to that vitally important DOF position which is currently now vacant. Yes it all seems totally bizarre but remember this club is totally dysfunctional any way staffed to the hilt by Roman's hangers on - no wonder Mourinho felt isolated and alienated as manager - he was the person least liked by Roman and least trusted at the end but the most qualified for his job!

As long as you understand why Grant was employed (he's a mate of the boss) then everything else falls into place - you shouldn't be shocked or surprised that our football hasn't changed one iota since Mourinho left. Grant likes winning and he is scared shi*tless of losing his newly found power and after discovering this team under Mourinho when fit and in form is pretty damn good - he's just kept the show on the road, playing exactly as before but mindful of his new mandate by Roman he simply talks up each game as being the best thing you've ever seen in your life entertainmet wise. Guess he figures if you talk about it enough you can fool people into believing it's true.

I personally think he has no plan, or nous to implement one without help and lacks the inspirational and leadership qualities on the touchline to inspire the players long term. He also is tactically naive as has been proved during games where we were not dealing with cannon fodder but with quality sides like MU, Arsenal, Everton, Villa who will take the game to you and have class managers in Wenger, Fergie, Moyes, O'Neill.

Grant so far has been lucky, the only times we have only played any more open football is against teams such as Hull, Man City, Leicester and away to Rosenborg. Against better quality teams it's been low scorelines and as you were - that tells you all need to know about Grant and his attacking style. In fact up to this point last season we had scored more goals in every competition aside from the Carling Cup!

The only way Grant can effect any change is buying a whole host of new players - then you will see the kind of game Roman wants us to play - Grant will not bring us anything different unaided - he needs cash to buy more players and get rid of the ones he doesn't want.

So, don't believe the hype, trust your eyes and see what is really put before you and switch off the TV when you hear Mr Grant mumbling along about our new style of football and how much better we are then before.

He's talking out of his arse and he knows it deep down.

Good post. No doubt the twat was bigging himself up again after we sneaked another less than convincing win, havent bothered watching him, there was some wet paint drying that warranted my observation a bit more.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roman is a prat who listens to all the wrong people.

If he does, then there is no way he would be the billionaire he is now. People don't get to be a billionaire from scratch unless they're very smart, hardworking and ruthless.

If he does, then there is no way he would be the billionaire he is now. People don't get to be a billionaire from scratch unless they're very smart, hardworking and ruthless.

roman listen to those twisted person in terms of football only, not in his business. he paid our debts and buy all the players, but that is the owner main job, if he likes it or not. and he only spend less than 2% of his fortune on us so there is nothing special about it.

roman listen to those twisted person in terms of football only, not in his business. he paid our debts and buy all the players, but that is the owner main job, if he likes it or not. and he only spend less than 2% of his fortune on us so there is nothing special about it.

That's what the media would have us believed or assumed. I do not know for certain what exactly happen, nor do any other poster here (most likely).

So he paid all our debts, brought Jose, Drogba, Cech, Robben, Essien, etc. and there's nothing special about it? And that it's only 2%? :huh: Some people just can't be pleased, I guess.

Edited by .Biru

That's what the media would have us believed or assumed. I do not know for certain what exactly happen, nor do any other poster here (most likely).

So he paid all our debts, brought Jose, Drogba, Cech, Robben, Essien, etc. and there's nothing special about it? And that it's only 2%? :huh: Some people just can't be pleased, I guess.

and some people is so easy to be pleased.

Yeh but Osgood,dont forget when Jose came he had players that Ranier had brought in and used them abso fine and Grant has Clakre there to help him.Without Clarke think we'd been worse off.

I agree its the players who make it but dosnt help when their manager stands on the touch line looking bored!Thats the annoying thing,you have Jose going mental at every touch and Grant standing there doing his 'I am a frog'expression.

Once he brings players in yeh defo see his quality,bit worried to be honest lol.Could be worse off somehow.

Our new style of football seems to be attack,let in goals then panic towards the end trying to score a winner

Yeh but Osgood,dont forget when Jose came he had players that Ranier had brought in and used them abso fine and Grant has Clakre there to help him.Without Clarke think we'd been worse off.

I agree its the players who make it but dosnt help when their manager stands on the touch line looking bored!Thats the annoying thing,you have Jose going mental at every touch and Grant standing there doing his 'I am a frog'expression.

Once he brings players in yeh defo see his quality,bit worried to be honest lol.Could be worse off somehow.

Our new style of football seems to be attack,let in goals then panic towards the end trying to score a winner

Jose bought new players straight away. No new manager will come in and completely replace the team, there's hardly ever any need, but they will always bring in a few players, players they feel suit their style of play and that is exactly what Jose did. He made the Chelsea squad his own by adapting it. Grant hasn't had the chance to do that yet.

But it werent like Grant wasnt there when the players were brought in.Sure he werent manager but still around.

Least Romans opening his wallet this time round as apose to 'lets see how many freebies we can get'.Kinda worried about how Grant is gana adapt is,no good getting new players if hes gana do his 'eeek what do I do with them act'.