Anelka injured

Anelka is out for the games against birmingham and fulham with a calf injury.

sturridge will start ahead of kalou yay!

ANCELOTTI: YOUNGSTERS CAN FLOURISH

Ancelotti will be putting his faith in youth over the coming games, as he prepares for life without a number of his experienced regulars.

Already missing are Michael Essien and Nicolas Anelka, both ruled out for the matches against Birmingham and Fulham, while Deco is the latest to join the list of casualties.

That means Daniel Sturridge will be given a first Chelsea Premier League start alongside Didier Drogba, who could be playing his final game before departing for Angola and the African Cup of Nations.

'Anelka is a small muscle problem but he is not ready to play these games, against Fulham also. If Didier Drogba is not here we can put other players in, Sturridge has a good opportunity to show his quality,' Ancelotti explained. 'He played against West Ham very well in the second half and against Birmingham can play from the beginning.

'We have some problems because we have to play without Anelka, Essien and Deco in these games but we have a possibility if we do 100 per cent, to win.

'It's very important. We are in a very good position, we are four points top, it's not our best moment because we didn't play well the last games but for this we have to stay concentrated and focused to try to win.

'We play against very strong teams, Birmingham arrived from five consecutive victories and one draw. They are difficult to play, they are very strong and work hard for 90 minutes with a lot of pressure. It is a difficult game for us.'

The manager also ruled out January transfer activity, insisting he can really on the talent he already has.

'I have a lot of confidence in my strikers, not only Drogba, not only Kalou, not only Anelka, also Sturridge and Borini. Against Fulham maybe we have only Sturridge and Borini, but in January we have Anelka.

'I didn't ask for new players to my club, we have a good solution internally. We don't need new players in this moment.'

That also means that Franco Di Santo and Michael Mancienne will not be recalled from their loans at Blackburn and Wolves respectively.

With six points to play for, it could be a fantastic Christmas for Chelsea. Ancelotti has warm wishes for everyone.

'I want to wish Merry Christmas to all the people, not only Chelsea fans,' he said. 'Christmas is very important for everyone and I wish all the best for all the people, the fans of every team, and I hope next year will be the same.

'I was surprised in this six months, I think that in England there is a very good future of sport. Every game there is a fantastic atmosphere and I hope in the future it will be the same.'

Edited by millzy_chelsea_fan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

o ohhh... aint looking good for the fulham game. In as much as I have confidence in Sturridge and Borini, the Fulham defence is just too much for the young strikers. I just get pissed off with Ancelotti insisting we dont need any signing. wat you people think???

Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka will miss the matches over the Christmas programme against Birmingham and Fulham through injury.

Anelka missed Sunday's draw with West Ham with a calf problem and the Frenchman now faces a longer spell on the sidelines.

Chelsea had hoped that the injury was not too serious, but the France international will now miss the trip to Birmingham on Boxing Day as well as a West London derby against Fulham on December 28.

Chelsea are hoping that Anelka will recover in time for the FA Cup clash with Watford on January 3, particularly as they face the prospect of being without Didier Drogba for the whole of January because of the African Cup of Nations.

Anelka's injury will be a real concern for Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti who effectively admitted that the Blues have no direct replacement for Drogba and would be relying on Anelka as a lone striker. The Italian said, “I think when the African players go away in January this will be the ideal solution: using one forward, Anelka, with Deco and Cole behind, and Lampard in midfield."

www.imscouting.com

Hopefully now, Sturridge and Borini and prove they can cut it at this level. Also with Drogba leaving for the ACN they will be getting a proper run in the team and have a fantastic opportunity to show what they are about. I hope it works out well for them.

we shouldnt buy any1. why waste 40 million on aguro when we have two great upcoming stikers. it will be good for them to start together against our closest rivals.

Great post and so true!

We have two upcoming strikers and this is the the perfect opportunity for them to make their name. With Anelka injured and Drogba off too the ACN this is the chance they needed, a prolonged spell in the first team.