Jacob Mellis to make squad for tonights game

Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink is expected to include 19-year-old reserve midfielder Jacob Mellis in his squad against Portsmouth at Stamford Bridge tonight. Mellis is a regular at reserve level and has scored three goals in 11 appearances this season.

He played 90 minutes in Chelsea reserves' 2-2 draw with West Brom and impressed Hiddink who watched from the stand.

article-1172568-03504E12000005DC-619_468

The England Under-19 international joined the Blues from Sheffield United in 2007 and has mainly been used as an attacking midfielder.

Mellis starred in Chelsea's FA Youth Cup run last season, scoring two goals, although he was sent-off in the final.

Source: Daily Mail

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this an old story or something? Against Portsmouth? We're playing Everton.

I think thats a typo rather than an old story. Mellis has never before been mentioned for the first team. And it talks about Mondays Reserve game against West Brom.

Chelsea Boss Guus Hiddink May Blood In Teenager Jacob Mellis For Everton Tie

The interim manager is reportedly going to give youth a chance in Wednesday evening's encounter with the Toffees.

One of the criticisms of Chelsea's fiscal status and consequential excessive spending over the past five years was that their youth structure would ultimately suffer.

Ousted Brazilian boss Luiz Felipe Scolari, though, seemed intent on altering that ethic as he consistently named young trio Franco Di Santo, Michael Mancienne and Miroslav Stoch amongst his substitutes.

Mancienne's inclusion even prompted England manager Fabio Capello to call-up the burgeoning defender into one of his Three Lions squads.

New Blues boss Guus Hiddink, who is only weeks away from coming to the end of his temporary tenure, looks set to maintain the Stamford Bridge side's new outlook on giving youth a chance as he is expected to include reserve star Jacob Mellis, 18, in his squad for the home clash against Everton this evening, according to The Daily Mail.

Mellis has impressed at reserve level and has already returned three goals from 11 appearances. He is a versatile player and, despite normally playing as an attack-minded midfielder, he has also been utilised at full-back and even centre-back.

He is capped at Under-19 level for England and was a star player during the club's FA Youth Cup run last season, in which he scored twice, although his efforts were marred by a sending off in the final.

"he has also been utilised at full-back and even centre-back" - Not too sure on the accuracy of that. And if he did it was only briefly at youth level in an emergency and will never play there again. He is an attack minded midfielder with good vision and a good engine. Similar to Lampard in many ways, able to pop up in the box at the right moment to score a goal.

I would be very interested to see Mellis make a first team appearance, just to see how he copes at that level.

It's a shame he didn't get a chance to come on. Considering how we was playing i wouldn't have minded seeing him come on for Ballack and put a bit of life into the game. But the experience will have done him the world of good and it shows that Hiddink has been happy with what he has seen of him.

I'm guessing he would've been used if the game was comfortably in our favour, but not to change the game, don't think the lad needs that pressure yet. But he's been given a taste of the first team and that will give him great hope.

I'm guessing he would've been used if the game was comfortably in our favour, but not to change the game, don't think the lad needs that pressure yet. But he's been given a taste of the first team and that will give him great hope.

Just making the bench is such a big step for him. And i am sure he is over the moon with it. I would like to see us using the young players even in pressure situations like Man you or Arsenal or others do.