Grant Hails Ten Cate And Clarke

Goal.com

Grant Hails Ten Cate And Clarke Chelsea boss Avram Grant was effusive in praise of his back-room staff, and in particular assistant coaches Henk Ten Cate and Steve Clarke. After losing his first game in charge to Manchester United, Avram Grant has gone on an unbeaten spree stretching close to three months now, in the process hauling the club to within five points of leaders Arsenal, and qualifying for the knock-out stages of the Champions League.Speaking in an interview on the club's website, Grant discussed how he had identified the areas for improvement, and quickly put everything in place, allowing the back-room staff to give him solid support."I think one of the most important things in the club is to know what you want from yourself," he said. "We have a vision about the club and about the football we want to play, we can do that through the players. "First, the squad is good, the attitude's good, always can be better and always looking for better but the base is good and the second is the staff. "We missed a lot of good people that worked here, physical coach, fitness coach, scouts, goal keeping coach, assistant coach. "In a very short time I was looking for the staff. It's not easy because I don't want to take any rash decisions because we are in a big club. And I was very pleased to see Henk Tan Cate as he was number two at Barcelona and did a good job. "Very pleased to take the scout Michael Emanalo who is very open guy. He is international and works all over the world. And Christophe the goalkeeping coach is also a modern goal keeping coach. Each goalkeeper he has worked with has become better under his hands so I think now the staff we have is good. "We must not forget we have Steve Clarke. For you and for me he is not new but he is very good at his job. He did a very good job in a very difficult time. And it was a difficult time. I think if we are looking back at this difficult time everybody needed an award over these days."
Edited by Tri-Blue

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so sure I liked the fact that he tagged the Steve Clarke bit on the end there. SC is a legend a imo a very important part of what this club has become. I do not doubt that a lot of good has come from Ten Cate, but the players have still got that bond with Clarkey the same as us the fans have. I really hope that he is an integeral part of Grants future plans for the club.

I can honestly see Clarke leaving in the summer, keeping him on was probably....as you say...to sweeten the blow of losing Jose. I wouldnt be surprised if whoever took the Scotland job didnt ask him to be their number 2. They are in no rush to appoint a manager, they could have a stand in for a while till they get the right man.You never know unsure.png

Hope he stays. But as people have said, Clarke could have been there just while Grant embeds himself. I get the impression there was a huge reconnaisance excercise on how Mourinho worked, not only him but his staff as well, before Grant was instigated. Clarke remaining in situ was the insurance should it go tits up.

Hiwhat you say seems true , and this worries me as , it took jose a time to get everthing right for sucess , so has he a plan , a vision for the future , as i think the backroom staff were in place , so to start from scrach , new manager new assistant , new coaches , i hope he is right or he will be the 1st out . thumbsup.gif