Drogba Hands Champagne To Essien

Soccerblog

Drogba Hands Champagne To Essien

Drogba was keen to make a fuss over fit-again Essien following the Blues’ win over Coventry.

Chelsea’s professional FA Cup quarter-final victory at Coventry City’s Ricoh Arena was punctuated by goals from Didier Drogba and Alex in either half, and also the return of Michael Essien.

The midfielder was injured whilst on international duty with the Black Stars of Ghana, sustaining a cruciate ligament problem in August 2008.

Drogba, scorer of the Blues’ opener after 15 minutes on Saturday, was keen to shove the spotlight onto his returning team-mate, who replaced John Mikel Obi after 65 minutes.

“It’s a very good result and we’re in the semis,” Drogba told ITV after the contest. “2-0 is what you need in the Cup and it’s great that we’ll go back to Wembley.”

He added of Essien, “We’ve missed him a lot and we’re happy that he’s back.”

The man himself, Michael Essien, smiled, “It’s good to be back. I’ve missed football and I’m looking forward to the games ahead.

“It’s been hard to look on, yes, but I’m here now.”

Essien then presented Drogba with the man of the match champagne but the hitman, who had celebrated his goal with Essien during the opening period, tried to give it to the midfielder.

“It’s for you, my friend,” Drogs called, but Essien had already run away. If he can get back to match sharpness, he’ll perhaps be bringing home his own bubbly before long.

It was great to see him back. His attitude when he came on was superb. THere was one occassion when he got clattered from behind and I watched with gritted teeth as he bounced up almost immediately and carried on as if nothing had happened.

He showed no fear in going into tackles which to me shows he's not thinking about the injury. Of course it'll be in the back of his mind, but the dedication was there for all to see.

Welcome back Michael. :D

Edited by Tri-Blue

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved that when Drogba ran to the bench and got Essien out.

Great to see him back he got a standing ovation and we were cheering everytime he got the ball.

He really has been missed and just got into the game yesterday like nothing had happened.