Anelka wants to partner Drogba

Football 365

ANELKA WANTS TO PARTNER DROG

Nicolas Anelka claims a partnership alongside Didier Drogba could prove fruitful, despite the success he has enjoyed this season as Chelsea's lone front man.

In Drogba's absence, Luiz Felipe Scolari has backed Anelka and been rewarded with nine goals from the mercurial Frenchman.

A hat-trick at the weekend against Sunderland saw Anelka move to the top of Chelsea's scoring charts and he has no intention to return to the bench once Drogba - who came on as a second-half substitute - regains full match fitness.

However, he would be willing to share the striking mantle with his powerful Ivorian team-mate.

"Didier and I can play together but we have not done that since I have been here," said Anelka.

"We have never started together up front. If we have started together then I was either on the right or left.

"So it's a shame, because I wanted to play with him when I first signed with Chelsea, but I hope it will happen.

"I think it could work with the two of us. But it's the choice of the manager."

Having spent much of last season lamenting the fact he was being played out of position on the flanks, by then manager Avram Grant, Anelka credits his white hot form to being employed down the middle.

And having got the goalscoring bug back, he has set his heart on topping the charts.

"The most I have ever scored in a season is 25, for Man City. I will try to do better than that.

"But what matters is for Chelsea to win more titles."

Interesting......Would LFS change his formation to accomodate both strikers?

Personally I dont think so. If its not broke dont fix it. I still think DD will be ahead of him when both are fit.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think on paper, Drogba is the better striker but Anelka is certainly doing the business this season. I admit he goes missing at times but he has scored nine goals already and that is nothing to be sniffed at. I doubt Anelka and Drogba would be partnered up front considering our formation is working brilliantly, although I could see the formation changed very slightly in that we keep the 4-1-4-1, but instead of having the two free players acting as wide men, we could draft them behind Drogba and go for what would be a 4-1-2-2-1 formation, with Anelka and Kalou playing off Didier, which could be a tactic we could use when we are chasing the game, but otherwise, I would go with Drogba, but having Anelka is certainly a top option - if both could get 20 goals this season, it would help us no end.

Theres no way we'll change formation.

Anelka will have to do with playing as a sub when DD is fully fit. Kalou and Malouda have been doing ok so far. Both have their moments of stupidity, but having Anelka out wide were he's not as effective would be a step backward imo.

Edited by Tri-Blue

Why would he change a formation that has given the team 28 goals and has created innumerable chances.?

He will stick to the formation. May be Throw in Drogba for the Champions League Games and Anelka for the BPL games. The midfield is fucking imperious, although i would still like to see them performing the same against top teams which untill now we havent.

But yes, being a striker is not all about scoring goals. Introduction of Drogba can shake up defenses and can have them panicking, which isnt the case with Anelka. With Drogba playing you will have 2 defenders hovering around him which will create more spaces for others in the team. Unfortunately thats not he case with Anelka.

Edited by warnie_666

Drogba's physicality and Anelka's pace and intelligence are equally as scary for defenders IMO.

But a good defence can nullify any impact Anelka can have by sitting back and holding a deep line. Drogba can bully that defence anyway.

Each to their own, I'm not arguing either way, I'm simply saying Anelka is doing the business - a striker is meant to score goals and he is doing that this season. Furthermore, what little we have so far seen of DD11 this season has shown he really isn't up for it, but I suppose he has yet to have had the run in the side he needs to get going. However, its nice to have these selection problems, don't you think? :D

Edited by BlueLion

Well, admittedly, Drogba was rather pants when he came on against Sunderland, but can't judge him yet as he's coming back from injury and he may be a bit tentative until he gains some confidence.

But if neither Drogba nor Anelka can do the business against the top teams that means we need a new striker basically. So far Anelka has been prolific against the lesser sides and I don't mean to lessen that, it's just that we need to win these big games and we need all our players to be able to compete if we are going to do so.

Well in response to the actual story, we could pair them up against the 'bigger' teams and the tougher defences. Drogba is certainly a handful in the air and that alone frightens defenders, and Anelka's pace and movement added to this would certainly mean a few more pairs of underpants will be needed for the centre backs.