Wilkins - We Are More Dangerous

Sportinglife

WILKINS: BLUES ARE MORE DANGEROUS

Ray Wilkins believes last term's disappointments have made Chelsea more dangerous this season.

Chelsea endured a 2007/08 campaign of near misses after finishing runners-up to Manchester United in the race for the Premier League.

United also beat Chelsea on penalties in the Champions League final, with the Blues having earlier lost the Carling Cup at the last hurdle to Tottenham after extra time.

Under new boss Luiz Felipe Scolari, the Blues have made an encouraging start to the new season and sit top of the table.

New assistant first-team coach Wilkins has been impressed by the players' determination and expects silverware to arrive at Stamford Bridge.

"This is why I think we'll be so dangerous this year, because the players are smarting from last year," said Wilkins in the Daily Mirror.

"The first day I walked in I could see the determination.

"Chelsea are a bunch of winners, but were second in the Premier League, lost the Champions League final and lost the final of the Carling Cup.

"No wonder they're smarting."

My only concern is the lack of depth we have. Its not as strong as we once had. LFS has said he intends to bring on a few of the reserve side this season, but it remains to be seen if thats going to be the case. We have strengthened our week spots in RB and a creative midfielder. Already we have 4 players out who would easily start any game for us in Deco, Essien, Joe Cole and Kalou. If we pick up another injury or two like these we could begin to have problems.

If we're going to push for the title we'll need to be very lucky injury wise or do some spending come Jannuary. For me the title is a must, the C/L is a bonus.

Edited by Tri-Blue

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should be fucking genious' after all the disapointments we've had in the past 2 years, espicially in the CL.

I'm not too worried about our depth, Kalou and Cole both have very short-term niggles and Deco and Carvalho are only out for a few more weeks. I'll be worried if another CM picks up an injury or if Anelka or Drogba pick up something.

I'd like another forward in January, based on the current situation.

Well. I am confident of EPL and Carling Cup. Not sure about FA and UCL. FA because it is cramped between the EPL crunch time and UCL finals. And UCL because it all depends if we get the second leg at home like we did last season. If we get the second legs of Semi Final and Quarter Finals at Bridge We will go on to win the Champions League.

But yeah I am a bit worried with the number of injuries we re already beginning to have. Last year w had the bench strength which kept us fighting in the league between Jan and March. This year I am afraid we dont have that liberty.