Jt Looks Forward

Chelsea.fc

Mon, 26th Nov 2007John Terry completed his first match since early October on Saturday, and believes we can use the win at Derby as a footing as we look to catch the league leaders.The Chelsea captain had not played since injuring his knee on international duty following our win over Bolton at the Reebok Stadium on October 7, but he made his presence felt as we kept our sixth clean sheet in seven league games.While many supporters may have expected a greater margin of victory as we faced the league's bottom side, Terry foresaw a tricky fixture.'It's very difficult and a lot of teams have walked away with an easy win, but we knew they would raise their game and the fans were up for it,' he explained. 'They made it very difficult for us at times. We had a chance to kill it off and go two up, and didn't take it, but Shaun popped up to finish it off.'The win leaves us fourth in the table, five points adrift of Arsenal who also have a game in hand. JT insists our recent form can still improve as we look to close that gap.'We need to go on a nice run now, 10, 15 games to push us up there. That's what we're aiming for and it was a good start today. If we keep on doing that then we have a good chance.'We now have a run of games in a small space of time, and Terry points to the festive period as crucial if we are to regain our Premier League crown.'We need to maintain that over the course of the Christmas period, the games come thick and fast. As long as we're at our game and keep everybody fit we have a chance,' he said.Finally, there was an honest assessment from the Chelsea and England skipper on the home fans' treatment of our England players, who were subjected to boos for much of the game.'We expect that and after the game, everybody takes full responsibility,' Terry conceded.'We didn't play well enough to qualify from the group, and we expected that and probably deserved that. It's not nice but as I say we take that on our shoulders and try to take that on to the next campaign.'For now though, Terry's concentration is firmly with Chelsea, and shortening the distance between ourselves and the league summit.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot to look forward to. Save the Man City game, we've not looked that great this season so we can only imrpvoe. However, considering we have not had the best of starts, we're "only" five behind the league leaders, and the gap from fourth to second is just a couple of points. Should we beat Arsenal in December, this title race will be blown open.

Arsenal (a), Blackburn (a), Aston Villa (h) and Newcastle (h) over the X-Mas period.Bar the Newcastle game we've a tough schedule ahead of us. If we got 10 points out of those 12 I'd be happy. Villa are a bit of a bogey team for us, and Blackburn are improving all hte time, but a win away to the Goners is essential if we are to get anywhere near the title this season.I still think the title is a long shot, but C/L qualification is the target for me realistically thumbsup.gif

I still think the title is a long shot, but C/L qualification is the target for me realistically thumbsup.gif
I don't ! I am of the opinion very similar to Blue Lion, We have had a iffy start really and considering the bombshell with Jose, we are doing very nicely thank you. As already stated a win v the Gooners and its all wide open again. Everyone is harping on about what a fantastic team Utd have got, and thats pretty hard to disagree with ( although it hurts) Well to be two points behind them isn't at all bad considering the press have written us off already.

I don't ! I am of the opinion very similar to Blue Lion, We have had a iffy start really and considering the bombshell with Jose, we are doing very nicely thank you. As already stated a win v the Gooners and its all wide open again. Everyone is harping on about what a fantastic team Utd have got, and thats pretty hard to disagree with ( although it hurts) Well to be two points behind them isn't at all bad considering the press have written us off already.
They had Ronaldo and Rooney missing from their side against Bolton and they looked ordinary. They still havent the depth that we have in our squad. We seen the difference in Chelsea without Lampard and Drogba in the team. I think someone mentioned on hte CFC site that between them they scored 85% of our goals last season (dont quote me on that). Without both in our side we did get by but looked like something was missing. Having Lamps back is a huge boost and the time off he's had seems to have given him a chance to recharge his batteries. Before his recent lay off I believe he's only missed about 6 or so games in the past 4/5 seasons. Thats phenomenal. As for Drogba, I dont think we have anyone who can really step in and do the job he does, when he's missing we should try to play differently to suit the other strikers qualities. The ACON will have a big bearing on our season, wether we get by in Drogbas absence I dont know, but we need Pizarro and Sheva to step up to the plate and make a name for themselves at Chelsea.

Arsenal (a), Blackburn (a), Aston Villa (h) and Newcastle (h) over the X-Mas period.
i think it will be tuff against arsenal and villa mainly cos we always struggle against villa and yea tehre our bogey team but still id like all the point from all the games but lets just hope we can atleast get 10 of them.

They had Ronaldo and Rooney missing from their side against Bolton and they looked ordinary. They still havent the depth that we have in our squad. We seen the difference in Chelsea without Lampard and Drogba in the team. I think someone mentioned on hte CFC site that between them they scored 85% of our goals last season (dont quote me on that). Without both in our side we did get by but looked like something was missing. Having Lamps back is a huge boost and the time off he's had seems to have given him a chance to recharge his batteries. Before his recent lay off I believe he's only missed about 6 or so games in the past 4/5 seasons. Thats phenomenal. As for Drogba, I dont think we have anyone who can really step in and do the job he does, when he's missing we should try to play differently to suit the other strikers qualities. The ACON will have a big bearing on our season, wether we get by in Drogbas absence I dont know, but we need Pizarro and Sheva to step up to the plate and make a name for themselves at Chelsea.
I agree with you, Ronaldo and Rooney would give something extra to any team, however. But we can cope without Lampard and Drogba, like you say. They give us a lot more firepower, but as the season has progressed, injury and suspension to those two has shown that we can indeed cope without them in our team. Our squad will be pushed to the maximum during the Cup of Nations. If we manage to do well through that period, and through Xmas also, we will know whether or not that this Chelsea team of 2007/08 would be deserving Premier League champions.However, our Christmas period this season is the toughest we have had for some time. We should beat Villa at home, we have a good record playing against teams on Boxing Day and the players will be looking for some revenge after the 2-0 defeat at Villa Park. If we can go to the Emirates and take all three points, we will blow the title race open, and suddenly, Arsenal's "wonderful" season where they have only played two real teams - Liverpool and United (and drawn both) - will suddenly come crashing down around them. Newcastle is a tough game, they will come and befend and bore us to death with long balls. I think the hardest game of the four will be at Ewood Park, but I expect three points nonetheless against Blackburn. I think we will get through this period unbeaten, hopefully with 10 points or more,