Scolari: Pleased with my squad

EskWeston

Felipe Scolari has spoken publicly for the first time since the closing of the transfer window at midnight on Monday. The Chelsea manager is spending part of the international break at Uefa headquarters in Switzerland, attending the annual Elite Club Coaches Forum, and it was from there he reacted to the absence of new signings during the past week and media stories that followed.

'This is not a problem for me,' Scolari said on the subject of continuing forward with the squad that began the domestic season.

'I have many great players and I am very happy with my team. I am receiving new players from injuries as Drogba will be back soon. Mikel recovers well. Ballack and Essien played with injuries but both are getting better.

'They are an example of the fantastic characters I have in my squad.'

Concentrating his thoughts on one-time transfer target Robinho, Scolari said:

'I don't think the people around Robinho were serious about him coming to Chelsea.

'They were more interested in the best business deal. But what I've said before about Robinho I say again now. He's a very good player. I only wish him the best.

'I have seen the newspapers and that they say I am unhappy or angry with the club. These statements are not true at all,' he declared.

'I have not said this and I do not think this. I am very happy with this situation.

'I talk to only a few people about my team, all inside the club. Other people have been quoted in newspapers saying they know what I think or feel, but they do not know. Only my close team knows.

Scolari dismissed the idea of 'sources' able to reveal his thoughts.

'I have a press office at Chelsea and I hold a press conference every week. I do interviews for Chelsea TV and say things for the Chelsea website and my own website. If it does not come from one of these places, it will not be true, and will not be what I think.'

The Elite Club Coaches Forum is in its 10th year and has a history of Chelsea attendance.

Chaired by Uefa technical director Andy Roxburgh, the coaches are given the opportunity to air views on current trends and issues affecting the highest echelons of European club football.

The aim is to stimulate thought on the development of the game, away from the pressure of competition. In past years the meetings have produced various recommendations which Uefa has taken on board.

Joining Scolari in Nyon this year are two former Chelsea managers, José Mourinho and Claudio Ranieri, plus further Barclays Premier League representation in Alex Ferguson and Arsène Wenger.

Laurent Blanc of Bordeaux and Luciano Spalletti from Roma, soon to pit their wits against Scolari in the Champions League, are also on the guest list, as are Mirko Slomka and Thomas Schaaf, the managers of Schalke and Werder Bremen respectively when we played the German clubs recently.

Gérard Houllier, Gordan Strachan, Dick Advocaat (Zenit St. Petersburg), Manuel Pelligrini (Villarreal), Jesualdo Ferreira (Porto), Manolo Jiménez (Sevilla) and Eric Gerets (Marseille) are also in a 23-man party.

The summit ends tomorrow (Friday).

Source: Chelsea FC

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like how Scolari deals with the media and how he comments on the sticky stories:

'I have a press office at Chelsea and I hold a press conference every week. I do interviews for Chelsea TV and say things for the Chelsea website and my own website. If it does not come from one of these places, it will not be true, and will not be what I think.'

Can't make it much clearer than that. I am sure he is happy with is squad, it is an incredible squad. I just hope he can use the smaller squad to give particulary Sinclair and Di Santo chances to play first team football. But i feel come January he may want to add a player or 2 still.

Guest Lampards Bitch

Another striker would be handy! Anelka in basically non-effective on his own. The strength and power we miss when Dids isnt playing is incredible. We need to get a player like Dids.

Another striker would be handy! Anelka in basically non-effective on his own. The strength and power we miss when Dids isnt playing is incredible. We need to get a player like Dids.

Anelka can play effectively on his own, but with him it is all about the service, he likes to be running onto balls. Would be very interesting to see Didier and Anelka together. But i agree we are light upfront.

Guest Lampards Bitch

I agree seeing Dids and Anelka together would be interesting. Anelka just seems lost. The Spurs game I thought was terrible tbh. Rather fustrating infact.

I agree seeing Dids and Anelka together would be interesting. Anelka just seems lost. The Spurs game I thought was terrible tbh. Rather fustrating infact.

Hardly terrible, we had more than enough chances to win that game confortably, just one of those games. Was frustrating but we played good enough to win that game. Spurs defended well to fair to them but we still could have burried them had we taken the excellant chances we had.

When you look at our squad at the moment we have some excellant players in all positions, who will come in when called upon and do a great job. Injuries may be a concern for us this season should we suffer from many of them again.

Di Santo and Kalou can play excellantly as centre forward should Scolari continue to want to play the 4 central midfielders.