Tony Cascarinos 2 cents on Lampard Saga

Former Chelsea player Tony Cascarino told Sky Sports News that unsettled Frank Lampard has been "let down" by the Stamford Bridge outfit.

Relations remain strained since Lampard, who has repeatedly demanded a new five-year contract, refused Chelsea's offer of a four-year deal worth £130,000 a week.

And the midfielder was reportedly angered that new boss Luiz Felipe Scolari told a press conference that Lampard intended to stay at the club for "many years" - comments that were swiftly disputed by his agent.

The Blues have already rejected an £8m offer from Inter Milan for the player, while chief executive Peter Kenyon is optimistic the 30-year-old will honour the remainder of his contract, but Cascarino believes the contract wrangling could have been avoided.

"This should have been resolved a year ago," Cascarino told Sky Sports News.

"Frank Lampard had two years left on his contract when every big club in the world spoke about not letting players enter the final two years of their contracts.

"I don't think Chelsea have made a big enough effort for Frank Lampard.

"I think he felt he deserved parity with likes of Terry, Shevchenko and Ballack - he's a goalscoring machine and he's come up with so many big goals over the last few years.

"I think he feels let down by Chelsea Football Club, I really do."

<H4 itxtvisited="1">Vital</H4>Cascarino believes Chelsea must act quickly to tie up one of their star men, or risk the balance of power turning against them in Europe.

"Chelsea don't want to let a player like Lampard go - imagine if he goes to Inter and becomes a great player and scores vital goals - he could conceivably knock them out of the Champions League at some stage.

"The big clubs are obviously wary about letting players go to each other in case they make a big impact.

If you're letting a player have his way or giving the advantage to another club, fans think you're not making a big enough effort to win the trophies. You can't be seen to be losing to one of the major clubs in Europe.

But the former Chelsea man, who turned out for the Blues from 1992-94, admitted the Lampard saga could be academic if the West London club fail to hold onto another of their talisman - Didier Drogba, a target of AC Milan.

"Lampard is the type of midfielder who loves to get into position where big centre forwards knock things down and he can take a gamble," a frank Cascarino added.

"If you lose Drogba, you have to lose Lampard for me because they are so important - between them they have been the goal machines for Chelsea.

"I was the manager, I'd want to keep them both but if I can't keep one, I can't really see the importance of the second one."

Sky Sports.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We should of just given him what he wanted in the first place he's an important player so we should strive to keep him here.

But if he doesn't accept what we've offered he can't love the club as much as he claimed

We should of just given him what he wanted in the first place he's an important player so we should strive to keep him here.

But if he doesn't accept what we've offered he can't love the club as much as he claimed

No professional footballer love the clubs they play for, they're in it for the money. Nothing else.

I was looking back through an old Chelsea mag yesterday and it had an interview with Frank he was quoted saying "If i had my way i'd be here till the end of my career and that's no lie"

He has the chance to be.

I was looking back through an old Chelsea mag yesterday and it had an interview with Frank he was quoted saying "If i had my way i'd be here till the end of my career and that's no lie"

He has the chance to be.

Yeah, well, what do you expect him to say? He's just saying what us fans want him to but it doesn't mean its true.

Cascarino's an idiot. How can he say Chelsea have let Frank down? Chelsea made Frank Lampard and if it wasn't for Chelsea he'd be lucky if the Championship clubs were even interested in him now never mind Serie A. Chelsea FC and its supporters have given Lampard plenty in the last 7 years, he's just conveniently forgetting that because he can't see past his overblown ego.

Cascarino's an idiot. How can he say Chelsea have let Frank down? Chelsea made Frank Lampard and if it wasn't for Chelsea he'd be lucky if the Championship clubs were even interested in him now never mind Serie A. Chelsea FC and its supporters have given Lampard plenty in the last 7 years, he's just conveniently forgetting that because he can't see past his overblown ego.

Look....In a way I do agree with Cascarino. Lampard has been consistently been scoring 20 goals in last four yrs, been Player of the year runner up to Ronaldinho before that, And Chelsea probably dint offer him a deal as good as Terry or Ballack and Sheva inspite of all that. And NOW when Things have gotten out of hand, Chelsea have made a lucrative offer in a desperate attempt to keep him.

But Again, one wonders if its the Money thats an issue or is it the Love for Jose? I beleive its the Latter.