What If?

There has been a lot of speculation regarding possible Chelsea transfer targets, yet as it stands on June 21st with the transfer window having been open for almost three weeks, only José Bosingwa has made the switch to Stamford Bridge. Linked with the likes of Anderson Deco, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Karim Benzema, Rafa van der Vaart and many others, what happened if we landed them? If we signed Deco, would it lead to Lampard making way to Inter? If Ronaldinho comes, is it the end of Malouda and Wright-Phillips, and if we land Robinho, will Kalou be edged out of the team? Suggest what might happen should we become a squad of superstars.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already have the bite and goalscoring ability in midfield, we are lacking the creative edge to the attack, If it were Deco then so be it, but I'd prefer to buy a younger player with the ability to improve. Deco imo, has passed his peak. Also Lampard would probably still be in the side. Its only a matter of time till Lamps signs.......then again I said that well over a year ago :P

We should get rid of Malouda and SWP anyway wether Ronaldinho arrives or not. Both have failed to live upto expectations. I know Malouda has only spent one season in the EPL, but he hasnt shown me anything that he'll improve. Compare him to Ballack who was absolute pish when he started playing for us, toward the end of the season before last he was immense and has carried that form into last season where he was a vital cog in the midfield. SWP has tried and failed to deliver. Cut our losses and let him go.

I dunno about Robinho. I havent seen much of him to really comment on how he'd do in the EPL, some have commented on him being too lightweight.

One player I'd love to see us moving for is that Russina fella Arshavin. With the Russian connection who knows. I understand he's a written clause in his contract that would allow him to leave for 10million. In todays market thats an absolute bargain for that standard of player.

We could sign plenty of superstar players without causing any disruption to our main playing squad. We are lacking in some creative spark within the team. Given the types of player that we are interested in it is clear that the club and Scolari recognise what we need are looking to install that to our team.

We could end up with a squad that is quite incredible:

Keepers: Cech, Cudicini, Hilario

Full Backs: Bosingwa, Ferreira, Cole, Bridge

Centre Backs: Terry, Carvalho, Alex, Ivanovic

Midfielders: Essien, Mikel, Lampard, Ballack, (Deco/Van Der Vaart/Arshavin), (Young attacking mid)

Wingers: Ronaldinho, Robinho, Kalou, Cole

Strikers: Drogba, Eto'o, Shevchenko, Di Santo

Would be a pretty special squad. The only real issue that you have with a squad like this is keeping everyone happy. But it could certainly be done.

The transfer window hasn't opened yet, it opens on July 1st.

Anyway, like others have said we need the creative edge in our attacking play. We have too many hard-tackling type players like Essien in the centre of the pitch so someone with a bit of flair and creativity is needed there. I personally would go for Van Der Vaart. Deco is getting on a bit and his lack of strength would mean he would get bullied off the ball too much in the PL.

Tbh, I think our wingers are fine - they just can't cross to save their lives! SWP needs to go, end of. So let's just bring in one replacement for SWP, I say David Bentley; English, a great crosser of the ball, young, enthusiastic and scores goals.

Then we need to decide on our forwards. It really depends on the formation we play, if we stick to 4-3-3 then Drogba can stay and Anelka should leave (and Pizarro) however if we start playing 4-2-2 Drogba and Pizarro should go. Either way we need to bring in another top forward, someone like Villa. Then you just have the problem of keeping Anelka, Sheva, Drogba and Villa all happy!

GK - Cech, Carlo, Hilario

RB - Bosingwa, Ferriera

LB - Cole, Bridge

Wingers - Malouda, Bentley, Cole, Kalou

CM - Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Van Der Vaart, Mikel, Maka

ST - Villa, Drogba, Sheva, Anelka

Edited by Chelsea Lad

GK - Cech, Carlo, Hilario

RB - Bosingwa, Ferriera

LB - Cole, Bridge

Wingers - Malouda, Bentley, Cole, Kalou

CM - Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Mikel, Maka

ST - Villa, Drogba, Sheva, Anelka

Still a lack of creativity and pace in that team. We need to go back to the days of Robben and Duff when it comes to wingers, fast, creative and will cause problems for defenders. Malouda and Bentley are far too pedestrian for that role....

Still a lack of creativity and pace in that team. We need to go back to the days of Robben and Duff when it comes to wingers, fast, creative and will cause problems for defenders. Malouda and Bentley are far too pedestrian for that role....

The problem is who is there? Ok, Messi and Ronaldo but they're unlikely to come to us.

Well we are being linked with a few decent ones, Robinho, Quaresma, Ribery, Ronaldinho....

Robinho would be awful in the PL, the kid has no muscle on him what so ever and would be bullied off the ball. I don't really think Ronaldinho is a pacey winger, but I suppose he could be good. I forgot about Ribery and Quaresma actually, I can't see Ribery coming this summer cause of his injury but I've always rated Quaresma quite highly.

I still think we need someone with good delievery, so I would still like us to get Bentley. Maybe we could ship out Malouda then and bring in one of the players you mentioned.

Robinho would be awful in the PL, the kid has no muscle on him what so ever and would be bullied off the ball. I don't really think Ronaldinho is a pacey winger, but I suppose he could be good. I forgot about Ribery and Quaresma actually, I can't see Ribery coming this summer cause of his injury but I've always rated Quaresma quite highly.

I still think we need someone with good delievery, so I would still like us to get Bentley. Maybe we could ship out Malouda then and bring in one of the players you mentioned.

Of course he wouldn't be awful in the premier league. That argument doesn't hold anymore, plenty of players like him make it in the Prem now. He is a quality player and would be a great signing. All of those 4 would be.

And Bentley is pacey? Lemme laugh..

And Bentley is pacey? Lemme laugh..

I never said Bentley was pacey! :wacko: There is more to a winger than pace, Bentley has amazing crossing ability which none of our wingers have. SWP and Malouda have pace, but they haven't performed, so ship them out and try and get a pacey winger like Quaresma etc... That way we have a good mixture of talent amongst our wide men and it gives us different options.

I never said Bentley was pacey! :wacko: There is more to a winger than pace, Bentley has amazing crossing ability which none of our wingers have. SWP and Malouda have pace, but they haven't performed, so ship them out and try and get a pacey winger like Quaresma etc... That way we have a good mixture of talent amongst our wide men and it gives us different options.

So you would pick Bentley over Robinho?

Our wingers need to act more like forwards in a 4-3-3, which is why players like Ronaldinho and Robinho would be good fits. We have seen the lack of penetration we suffer from without the sort of top class wingers we should be having.

So you would pick Bentley over Robinho?

Our wingers need to act more like forwards in a 4-3-3, which is why players like Ronaldinho and Robinho would be good fits. We have seen the lack of penetration we suffer from without the sort of top class wingers we should be having.

Yeah, I see what you mean. If we can get 2 really pacey players like you mention then great, I could see it working in 4-3-3. Sorta going back to the Robben-Duff days which worked well.

It does kinda depend on the formation, you have convinced me that with a 4-3-3 we need that pace but in a 4-4-2 a Bentley type player would be more useful.

I'm still not a fan of Robinho though! :whistling: Maybe Ronaldinho and Quaresma could be bought in and SWP and Malouda could go, that is if we play 4-3-3.

Robinho has been linked to United anyway, so given a choice between the two where's he likely to go - the current domestic and european champions or a club who cant hold onto a manager for five minutes? (bearing in mind Scolari's not here for the long haul either). Add to that the fact that it'd be yet another foreigner when we really need to keep our british contingency up, then I'd take Bentley.

Ronaldinho would be shite for us - might still have it in him to be a great player but he's an individually great player and he certainly wouldnt be working his arse off on a cold night up north for the sake of the team.

Ribery - didnt he already totally rule out a move?

Quaresma - hmmm, cant get past the fact that I think he's a cheating fucker.

Robinho has been linked to United anyway, so given a choice between the two where's he likely to go - the current domestic and european champions or a club who cant hold onto a manager for five minutes? (bearing in mind Scolari's not here for the long haul either). Add to that the fact that it'd be yet another foreigner when we really need to keep our british contingency up, then I'd take Bentley.

Ronaldinho would be shite for us - might still have it in him to be a great player but he's an individually great player and he certainly wouldnt be working his arse off on a cold night up north for the sake of the team.

Ribery - didnt he already totally rule out a move?

Quaresma - hmmm, cant get past the fact that I think he's a cheating fucker.

To take Bentley purely for the sake of making sure we have british players is crazy. Bentley would be another Sidwell, there is no way that he will ever be good enough for us, especially on the wing where we are desperate for some improvement and big improvement.

The arguments about certain players either being "too lightweight" or "will not fancy a cold night up north" are arguments that i think in general no longer apply. The same has been said of plenty of players, Torres for one, who have come to the PL and been perfectly comfortable.

To take Bentley purely for the sake of making sure we have british players is crazy. Bentley would be another Sidwell, there is no way that he will ever be good enough for us, especially on the wing where we are desperate for some improvement and big improvement.

The arguments about certain players either being "too lightweight" or "will not fancy a cold night up north" are arguments that i think in general no longer apply. The same has been said of plenty of players, Torres for one, who have come to the PL and been perfectly comfortable.

I couldn't agree more Esk, Torres was one of the skinniest players in Europe and I for one said he'd never make it over here. But how wrong I was eh? You cannot in this day and age look at players and think too skinny or whatever. Bentley instead of any of those players being linked to us, You gotta be joking!!!!

But realistically, how many of the players linked actually want a move to Chelsea?

I don't think Bentley would be another Sidwell, he's got a lot of potential and I honestly think he'd fulfil it at the right club with the right players round him.

Esk - the 'cold night up north' bit is totally relevant because its about the mental attitude of a player and Ronaldinho hasnt got the right mentality for the PL imo.