I want Chelsea job - Deschamps

Didier Deschamps believes he is on Chelsea's short-list regarding the coaching role at Stamford Bridge, and the charismatic figure is ready for the big move to his old club.

Just two days after sacking Avram Grant, The Blues are working hard to name a new manager and France legend Deschamps is part of the short-list.

The tactician is a free agent since he parted company with Juventus in the summer of 2007, after having helped The Old Lady to gain promotion to the top flight.

Deschamps reckons he is one of the three or four managers that are in the frame to replace Grant, and the tactician dreams of taking over the reins.

“It would be hard to refuse Chelsea, unless I stop being a coach,” Deschamps told RMC. “I want to return to coaching.

“I needed to rest because I had no break between my playing career and coaching career. I feel capable of doing good things.

“The coach’s market is complicated, there are not only the players.

“Chelsea is different because the place is vacant. I am flattered to be a possibility.

“They are a very big club that I know. We will see in the next few days how it goes.

“Three or four managers are on the list, I am part of them.

“We speak about [Marcelo] Lippi as well but he does not speak English. All the famous managers who are free can interest them.

“We cannot forget that they sacked a manager not because of results but because they want to play a spectacular football, attacking, something different than in the next few years.

“[Roman] Abramovich and his directors decide, not the players."

Deschamps added: “I have played with John Terry, I know them [the players], you know, you only work with internationals at Chelsea.

“I would like to have the chance to choose [between Lyon and Chelsea].

“You have a very competitive team, they fought for the title and played the Champions League final but you have big pressure that forces you to win.”

The charismatic captain stopped his playing career to become Monaco’s chief back in 2002 and led the Principality side to the 2004 Champions League final which they lost against Jose Mourinho’s Porto - a time when he was being linked with the Chelsea post along with his Portuguese adversary.

As a player, 'La Deche' as he is dubbed in his homeland, won almost everything, from the World Cup to the European Championship, including the 2000 FA Cup with Chelsea.

Deschamps played for The Blues during the 1999/2000 season and was approached by Newcastle last January before Kevin Keegan was appointed.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing he hasnt won as a player.But as a manager apart from making a pretty top Juve Side(nedved, Del Piero, Buffon to name a few) Seria B champions, he hasnt achieved much. Yes he beat us in the semi finals, that was a fantastic achievement. But I am not sure what else he has on his CV to become a good contender for the post.

I wouldnt mind him. He played for us, he got Monaco to a UCL final and hes a huge name in football. He managed Juve too so hes got all the experience. Ive got no reason to not want him.

He's no less experienced than Grant. Maybe he could do a decent job, but he isnt my first choice.

I don't think he would be anyones FIRST choice to be honest, but i think the majority of people would be willing to give him a go.

Could be alot worse... he did rebuild Monaco, but getting Juve top flight after the scandal could have been done by a trained chimp.. they were way too much of a stacked squad to stay in the B league...

Deschamps is a massive name in world football, he'd have a certain attraction and pulling power in bringing players to the club... is he tactically astute? Who knows?