Grant: Terry Could Have Played

Independant

'I would have allowed Terry to play against Croatia' says Grant John Terry might have played for England in their hour and a half of need on Wednesday – according to his club manager Avram Grant.The former Israel coach made it clear yesterday that Chelsea would not have objected if Steve McClaren had chosen to add to his list of gambles on the night by playing the England captain despite the fact that he has been out of action for five weeks since injuring his knee on the eve of last month's Euro 2008 qualifier in Russia."Would we have let him play? Yes, of course. If he's picked we don't have any problem," said Grant, who added that Terry was fit to play in today's match against bottom-of-the-table Derby County. "You saw it the last time when England played in Russia. Even if he was not 100 per cent I let him play. Of course he got injured again, but I let him play. I was in charge of the [israeli] national team and I know what it is to serve your country. I'm proud that my players serve their countries."It was on the border, I think, with JT. England needed him badly. But when you play an international and you have not played for five weeks ... it was the right decision by McClaren."Asked if he would have played Terry on Wednesday for Chelsea if they had been involved in a cup final, Grant responded: "I don't think so. After five or six weeks without playing when he is not 100 per cent – it's a risk.'
Edited by Tri-Blue

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice gesture, but to be honest Grant needs to be selfish about the Chelsea team.We might well have no lost though with Terry in the team. Gerrard did nothing as leader, because, as he said himself, he leads by playing well, and he didn't play well. Terry leads by shouting and by playing well, would have worked better seeing as he would have played well.

Nice gesture? The bloke's a moron. Firstly, there was no point even making these comments apart from trying to ingratiate himself to England supporters. Secondly, openly saying he's prepared to take those sort of risks with our captain, particularly when our other CD is injured already, just shows how little thought he puts into it.

WELL DONE AVRAM.What's the point of saying it now? He should have said it to Mclaren a couple days before the game, what a complete idiot.
I doubt Grant had any say in whether Terry played or not on Wednesday anyway, so what difference would it have made?