Could it have been any different?

I couldn't imagine what on earth Grant could possibly say to players like Joe Cole and Michael Ballack to make them play better! The bottom line is that Ballack is in his second season and more settled now and able to perform better because of that. Joe Cole last season was injured for the whole season and the seasons before that he has had to contend with Robben and Duff and didn't get so many games. This is the first season he has had a real real run in the team like this.....

Well, Esk...Joe Cole did say that Grant has given him more freedom to play his game than Jose did. Joe Cole even had a showdown with Mourinho at the beginning of the season.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Esk...Joe Cole did say that Grant has given him more freedom to play his game than Jose did. Joe Cole even had a showdown with Mourinho at the beginning of the season.

Okay so Grant has given him more "freedom" to play but has that really been a good thing for Joe Cole?

I would suggest long term - no.

Grant in my view has had little to do with any players performance - in fact overall you would argue he has been detrimental in terms of the overall spirit of the squad.

Joe had run ins with Jose prior to this but they were runs ins that I felt actually improved Joe as a player and made him see that working for the team was more important than just party tricks and step overs.

Because of that firm hand he actually developed as a player.

If Grant's legacy is to let him have more freedom to go back to his old ways then for me he will have been doing Joe a grave disservice.

Although Joe may feel that Grant is being far more forgiving - I feel Grant's actually not helping him as much as Joe probably thinks he is.

I think Grant's main probem is tactically - when we have class strikers such as Anelka and Drogba in the side surely he can accomodate them from time to time? Jose used to tinker a lot with the formation during games, Grant can't seem to unless it's to go 5 at the back like during the Carling Cup which was plain stupid.

I used to think the re-emergence of Ballack, Makelele, Wright-Phillips was down to Grant but this is definitely not the case. I've been happy to give Grant a chance but the team'slack of performance in key games has worried me :(