Port Vale Next In Fa Youth Cup!

EskWeston

Our young blues will be playing Port Vale in the FA Youth Cup quarter final after Port Vale knocked out Spurs! The youth team put on a very impresssive and dominating display in the last round and hopefully they can take that on to this game, although playing away from home this time we should have enough quality to be able to progress. I would expect the team to be very similar to the last round:

............................Taylor..............................

Nana........Van Aanholt......Bruma.............Gordon

............................Tejera...............................

..................Woods...........Mellis......................

Stoch....................Nielson.....................Kakuta

This years FA youth cup is a glorious chance for us to win the competition after a lot of big names have already fallen, so far the other teams competing in the quarters are:

Port Vale

Carlisle

Aston Villa

Plymouth

Sunderland

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tejera doesn't play DM does he?

Those 3 played midfield for the reserves the other night, and I wouldnt say any were particularly defensive on the night, and none seemed to play directly infront of the defence. Tejera wore number 7 so I don't think he was playing there.

Port Vale is a great draw though on paper. Out of those teams, Villa strike out as the obvious and are normally good in this competition. I'd expect Liverpool to go through too.

Its looking promising. Is that Stochs favoured position ?

Do you think in terms of resources the youth team, and the reserves come to that, should reflect the success and quality of the first team ?

Yup Stoch almost always plays on the right wing now, although came on and played down the middle on Monday and was devestating.

Well the youth team now is finally getting to the right level, it took time to build it up right starting from basically nothing. We have an exceptionally strong group of youngsters now and that is reflected in the results, especially in the cup - in the league we tend to play the younger players as the older ones are with the reserves so results are not as consistant.

The reserves is always difficult with players going out on loan ect.. so any level on consistancy is impossible, it is all about the development of the players.

If you look at our young players right now we have a very very good crop comming through, the likes of Stoch, Kakuta, Tejera in particular are right out of the top drawer and destined for very big things.

Tejera doesn't play DM does he?

Those 3 played midfield for the reserves the other night, and I wouldnt say any were particularly defensive on the night, and none seemed to play directly infront of the defence. Tejera wore number 7 so I don't think he was playing there.

Port Vale is a great draw though on paper. Out of those teams, Villa strike out as the obvious and are normally good in this competition. I'd expect Liverpool to go through too.

Tejera played DM in the last round of the FA Youth Cup and was a success, his passing ability much in the same way as Mikel enabled the team to build good attacks. Although pesoanlly i feel he is wasted there as his attacking ability is quality, but it is all about him learning so it is good for him.

I agree none of them seemed to play the holding role on Monday but i also felt that led to a bit of confusion among them.

when is the match?

Dates not been confirmed yet, but the fixtures are:

Carlisle Utd v Aston Villa (Being played tonight)

Port Vale v Chelsea

Plymouth v Manchester City

Charlton/Swindon v Sunderland

Man City for me will be the team to beat....

Chelsea's FA Youth Cup quarter-final opponent is now known, as Port Vale surprised Tottenham with a 1-0 win at Vale Park last night.

It won't be the first time we come up against Port Vale in the competition. Our fourth round exit to the Valiants back in 2003 remains fresh in the memory, and Paul Clement's side will be eager to avoid that fate as they seek a semi-final place.

Five years ago, Chelsea's youth team were eliminated 2-1 at Vale Park, with a side that featured schoolboys Adrian Pettigrew, Anthony Grant and Jimmy Smith. Another schoolboy, Dean Sylvester, not taken on full-time scored the goal.

Then youth coach Steve Clarke was unimpressed, saying: 'It was disappointing to go out because it was a game we could have won. We sat back too much and gave them the initiative.'

It was a memorable night for Vale fans, as 1,958 fans attended the game, a figure just overshadowed by the 2,104 who saw Jonathan Crompton head the only goal of the game.

Three of the four quarter-final fixtures have now been finalised, with just the Charlton Athletic v Swindon Town fifth-round tie to be played.

Elsewhere last night, holders Liverpool crashed out in extra-time at Sunderland, beaten 5-3. Manchester City also progressed as Daniel Sturridge, who scored for the first team at Sheffield United in the FA Cup proper recently, scored twice in a 4-2 win at Bristol City.

City now travel to Plymouth Argyle in the quarters, while Sunderland play the winner of Chartlon and Swindon.

This evening, Carlisle United entertain Aston Villa at Brunton Park in the first quarter-final tie.

It is the first time Chelsea have reached this stage of the competition since 1997/8, when John Terry was in the side.

The date of Chelsea's trip to Port Vale will be announced soon.

0,,10268~3565865,00.jpg

Wow, can't believe Vale beat Spurs, they were dark horses to win the competition. I can see a Chelsea-Man City final.

Would be good to see. We havn't made it this far for a very very long time, and to get the semi's would be a huge deal too. But i honestly think we have the players who can win this! Our attacking options are just top class and we can always get goals.

Stoch is the key to everything. He has been awesome on the wing, he bombs forward and gets goals, but he also comes back and helps the defence, much like Joe Cole.

Completely agree, in these cup games Stoch is our key man. Although in general the youth games (including the cup games) have been dominated by the creative spark of Kakuta. The pair of them together has been leathal, when the opposition trys to double mark one the other takes over the influence - the last cup game was prime example, Kakuta wiped the floor with them first half, second half was all Stoch.