Chelsea FC 2002-2003

Tomo

This was the year before Roman took over basically the question i want to ask is could we have mounted a geuniune challenge that season with a bit more depth to our squad?

If you look at what was IMO our best line-up that season we had some real quality there.

GK Cudicini

RB Melchiot

CB Desailly ©

CB Terry/Gallas

LB Le Saux

RM Gronkjear

CM Petit

CM Lampard

LM Zola

ST Hasselbaink

ST Gudjohnsen

There were no mugs in that line-up, Desailly and Petit were world cup winners, Cudicini, Zola and Hasselbaink were one of the best in their positions. Lampard, Melchiot, Gudjohnsen, Terry and Gallas were promosing young talents. Le Saux was mega expierenced aswell. Our 1st choice line-up had a good mix of youth and expierence and at christmas we went top (briefly) until Arsenal beat Boro later that day. We were up there at Christmas and i think our lack of depth that season made us fade away and eventully finish 4th (which was still great).

This was our "B" team

GK De Geoy

RB Ferrer

CB Gallas/Terry

CB Huth

LB Babayaro

RM Morris

CM Stanic

CM De Lucas

LM Zenden

ST C.Cole

ST Knight

So we were clearly lacking in options from the bench Stanic, De Geoy and Ferrer were all getting on. C.Cole made a couple of important contributions, Zenden and Babayaro aswell but apart from that we didnt have too many players beyond the 1st XL that made too big an impact IMHO.

But at christmas 2002, was i the only 1 daring to dream?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beating City 5-0 then was the highlight for me :D

But you're right we had a quality squad that year - However I was just delighted with the 4th place finish because it meant Champions League Football. I remember we scored a lot of goals that season but we'd been let down by poor defending at times. Plus you've got remember back then Manchester United & Arsenal were the 2 clubs which were going head to head for the title. Us, Newcastle and Liverpool were battling it out for 4th so under Ken Bates that was a good season. Who would've know how amazingly our fortunes would change :lol:

That being said (about defending) Cudicini was sensational! That's when he really peaked as our #1 keeper, I maintain he's a big reason of why we qualified for the Champions League that year!

As you say, some really good players there. But it's a matter of ifs and buts 8 years on. Though I'm disappointed that Huth, Cole and Forssell didn't go on to make much of their talent.

especially HUTH..........if he would hv given gr8 performance wen given chance he surely would hv been with us now..... :(

especially HUTH..........if he would hv given gr8 performance wen given chance he surely would hv been with us now..... :(

He's not that good to be honest. I think we did well to let him go at that time.. But definitely Cole could've had a great future with us!