Makelele - Think About Us

BlueLion.

They might have earned a point at Arsenal last weekend, but Claude Makelele insists we should avoid focusing on Birmingham and worry about ourselves as we head to St. Andrews on Saturday.

Our visitors gained a creditable draw at the Emirates courtesy of a Garry O' Connor equaliser last Saturday, while we overcame resurgent Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.

The French international, who made his comeback after ear surgery against Spurs, believes it is imperative we keep taking maximum points from matches to keep pressure on the sides above us, and don't think too much about Birmingham's threat.

'It is more important for me to think about Chelsea, it is a good moment and we have to keep our confidence, win, win, win to fight for the championship. I respect all the other teams, you need to, but we have ambition to win the Championship,' the French international said.

We beat the second city Blues 3-2 on the opening weekend of the season back in August, thanks to strikes from Florent Malouda, Claudio Pizarro and Michael Essien, but we will be missing the Ghanaian as well as his fellow African Nations players.

Their absence is compensated by the presence of Nicolas Anelka, and Makelele is confident his international team-mate will be a hit at the Bridge.

'I think he is good, the club chose the striker very well,' Makelele said. 'He is about now, the future. I have known him a long time as a player and he has won everything, the best trophies in football.

'He is a good guy, needed a big club, to show the world what he can do. Chelsea is a good place for him to play football, and score a lot of goals. It is a team he will enjoy, and a group he can settle into.'

This was evident as Anelka took to his debut against Spurs with ease, slotting comfortably into the team's system.

'When he came on it gave him confidence quickly. He knows all the players, as we have a number of French players. I am really happy for him, I spoke with the manager for a long time about him,' Makelele explained.

Our away form this season has been impressive, with only Liverpool and Portsmouth picking up more points on their travels, and Makelele has a theory.

'The problem is at home, other teams come fighting and one point is good for them, so they are defensive and fighting, with their fans supporting them. Away it is still difficult, like all games, but it can be a bit more open,' he said.

Makelele is spot on about the last part. Only teams like Portsmouth, United and Arsenal give it a go at Stamford Bridge because of our unbeaten record.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Makelele always talk sence,even tough he doesn't talk to media usually.I agree with him and we should give our best today against City because i reckon United or Arsenal will drop points today against Fulham and Reading.

lets hope your correct that would be awsome if it did happen