Villa Res 3-1 Chelsea Res

James

Monday night saw the most misleading scoreline of the reserves season so far. We went into the game as underdogs after Aston Villa have dominated the league not just this season but last as well. They seem to take the league far more seriously than anyone else, they also had experience at the back with Wilfred Bouma and Curtis Davis in their defence. With all of that seemingly against us the blues reserves stepped up to the challenge and for the majority of the game were in control of the tempo.

We had our own level of experience in the team with Nemanja Matic, Gael Kakuta and Fabio Borini all with first team chances and with Jacob Mellis and Liam Bridcutt who have both had successful loan spells in the Football League. Chelsea lined up in the Christmas tree formation for this game for the first time with Kakuta and Mellis playing behind Borini. We then had the unusual prospect of 3 holding midfielders behind, although all 3 have a lot more to their game and it showed in the performance, Clifford, Matic and Bridcutt all worked well together to control the game and keep position. The back 4 was the weakest with Strickland and Magnay as the centre back pairing, both of whom i would think are unlikely to be here next season. Nikki Ahamed and Ben Gordon supplied the width with Ahamed in particular continuing to excel and showing why Ancelotti has been taking a look at him.

The game was an unusual one, as you will see in the highlights the game was one that had limited real chances on goal from either side. There was a late flurry of activity in the game but on the whole it was a game where possesion was the name of the game. Steve Holland will undoubedly be dissapointed that we couldn’t turn our possession into chances and it will be something to work on for the next game but one thing is for sure and that is Steve Holland has these guys playing good football and very much in the vein of the first team which is what the reserves is all about. The last time that we played Villa this season we were totally out played, this time that was not the case at all and it shows the vast improvement that has been made in the reserves under Steve Holland.

Player Reviews:

Rhys Taylor – On the whole Rhys had a decent game. Came and took or punched plenty of crosses which was good to see as it has been something of a weakness to him. However a couple of times he didn’t deal with it cleanly and for Villa’s first goal he was guilty of overdoing the save and ended up pushing it into goal rather than pushing it wide. He still did well on the whole and is showing signs of stability. 6

Nikki Ahamed – Nikki has impressed me very much this season. He is becomming a very very good right back and is getting better every game. His defensive side of his game is very solid and he gets forward so well, but his best attribute for me is his delivery into the box once he is in position. His balls are always very dangerous and give the striker the chances he wants. A very good game from Ahamed again. As i have said it is clear to see why Carlo has been including him and given him a squad number. 8

Ben Gordon – Ben Gordon is a decent player but for me is just not at the level we are looking for at Chelsea. He is still not quite taking it on to the next level and struggles at times to deal defensively with what is thrown at him.By now i would have liked to have seen more of an improvement from him. He is a decent player but not likely to be close to getting any chances with the first team. 6

Kenny Strickland – Kenny bagged the only goal for us in this game and he took it very well indeed. Strickland had a good game though and dealt with most things comfortably, at times he did put himself in trouble and much like Ben Gordon not quite to the level that we would be hoping. He was only brought in though as cover with us short of centre backs and Rohan Ince out long term. 7

Carl Magnay – Carl is a player who impressed up to a point and settled into the reserve but has been unable to kick on from there and has stagnated. Any loan spells have not worked at all and he cannot pick up another one. Carl as always put in a decent shift and worked as hard as you would expect him to. Likes to get forward when possible and was involved in the goal. 7

Liam Bridcutt – Liam back from loan and injury started his first reserve game of the season. Alongside Conor Clifford and Nemanja Matic Liam looked the lesser of the 3 but still gave a good performance and worked well with his midfield partners. I am sure another loan move will be on the cards for Liam with the possibility of a view of a permanant move. He is a good lad and a decent player but one who i think will move on in the summer. 7

Nemanja Matic – Matic again is continuing to impress. His ball control at times is just sublime and his passing is very good, he is able with the ball close to feet manage to wriggle around players and out of tight situations always coming away with the ball. He is very influential in that middle of the park for the reserves and is usually at the centre of our best moves. His only weakness is that at times he can be a little too casual and will give the ball away but that is becomming more and more rare with every game he plays. 8

Conor Clifford – Clifford was sporting a new haircut for this game having shaved all his hair off after the FA Youth Cup game. Agian Conor is looking an impressive player with this work etic and passing ability he and Matic was working the Villa midfield ragged. If Clifford isn’t getting involvement with first team training already he should be very soon because he is looking a top top prospect for us. Definately player of the season at reserve level so far. 8

Jacob Mellis – Jacob is another back from loan and has looked all the better for it. Ancelotti seems to want to keep him around but i think maybe another loan move would be better for him. He is good player and playing behind Borini he was all over the place trying to get things going and create some chances. It was interesting to see him play higher up the park than he usually does and i think he did it very well. 7

Gael Kakuta – Gael had his best game for the reserves in a long while. I think that maybe it was needed, Carlo hasn’t used him for the first team since a couple of very impressive performances for the first team and maybe his reserves form was something to do with that. If that is the case then we can expect to see Gael among the first team again soon because he was in good form with the skills and vision to keep us ticking in attack. Very good to see him back on form. 8

Fabio Borni – Borni is a player who since getting his first team chances has really struggled in reserves. He hasn’t looked the same player, i don’t know if it is because he doesn’t put in the same effort now but i would very much like to see him back in the form that earned him his chances in the first team. He just couldn’t get going again in this game which is becoming a recurring theme now. 6

Related posts:

1. Chelsea Res 2-0 Wolves Res
  2. Youth and Reserves Into 2010
  3. Chelsea Youth 1-0 Portsmouth Youth
TalkChelsea?d=yIl2AUoC8zA TalkChelsea?d=qj6IDK7rITs TalkChelsea?i=fhVYexNST5Q:eP_ebwdn8dU:V_
fhVYexNST5Q

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days