Opposition Views

James

What’s your name, and how old are you?

My name is Stephen Tanner, I’m 19.

How long have you followed Birmingham?

Since I was about 4 or 5. My Dad and Uncle used to take me down to St Andrew’s for every home match. Now I go whenever I can, but things are hard with university!

What are your ambitions for this season?

When we earned promotion, all Birmingham fans wanted was to stay in the Premier League. We’ve got a great team but for one reason or another we’ve struggled at this level. We look certain to stay up this season. A top half finish would be an amazing achievement for us. I don’t think we’ll qualify for Europe but we’re exceeding all expectations this season.

Do you think Birmingham’s superb run can continue?

Well we’ve been pretty unbeatable the last three months or so, but we’re in real danger of taking a pasting on Wednesday. Chelsea look like they’re back to their best. It was frightening how good they played against Sunderland. If we come home with a point it will be the best one earned all season. It would be nice to see our run carry on but there’s no shame in losing to Chelsea.

Which players have stood out for you this year?

Roger ‘Magic’ Johnson has been amazing for us at the back this season, and obviously Joe Hart’s been great for us over the last few months. He earned us a point against you on Boxing Day. But our best player has been Barry Ferguson, without doubt. His work rate is incredible, and he’s as effective for us as Essien is for Chelsea. If he didn’t play for a team like us he’d have a chance of being player of the year!

What are your memories of playing Chelsea?

Mainly bad ones! I remember when we earned a 1-1 draw at the Bridge in 2005 when it looked like we might actually beat you for much of the match, but Drogba popped up and scored an equaliser. Other than that, we’ve not had too many great moments against Chelsea!

What do you think about Chelsea’s chances of winning the title?

It’s Chelsea’s to lose, I think. United and Arsenal have played a few games more, but if Chelsea win those I can’t see them losing top spot again this season. They had an awful December but stayed top, which is important. I think they’ll do well in Europe too but Inter Milan are a great side. As long as United don’t win the title I’ll be happy!

And finally, what do you think the score will be?

My heart thinks we could get a draw, but Chelsea have been really good recently. Nicolas Anelka’s been sensational – who needs Drogba?! Lampard is getting his form back and Malouda looks dangerous on the left too. He’ll have a point to prove after getting sent off at St Andrew’s. I can’t see a landslide victory for Chelsea, but my head says it’ll be 2-1 to you… only after we go 1-0 up!

TalkChelsea would like to thank Stephen for answering our questions

Related posts:

1. Opposition Views
TalkChelsea?d=yIl2AUoC8zA TalkChelsea?d=qj6IDK7rITs TalkChelsea?i=quB1uksbMkw:rtVCwE1_u0o:V_
quB1uksbMkw

View the full article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic